Tuesday, January 24, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Second Hand; Michael Zadoorian



Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon.  This week's selection is the debut novel of Michael Zadoorian, the author of the Leisure Seeker which I reviewed last week.

Second Hand; Michael Zadoorian
Dell Trade - 2000

Part 1
Junk

"When I die, I will leave nothing but junk.  If I went to my house, to my estate sale, after I died, I would buy everything.  Of course, since I bought it all in the first place, that shouldn't be much of a surprise.  Yet even if I wasn't me, I would buy it all.  There are others that would do the same.  People come to my house and are amazed by my junk, covet my junk.  But those people are junkers.  When people who aren't junkers come to my house, they laugh at my things.  Or they say my house is creepy because everything in it was owned by people who are now dead. I tell them, They're not all dead. Some are in nursing homes."


Based on this intro, would you read more or pass on this book?

Feel free to join in by posting your own First Chapter First Paragraph Intro and linking below.






37 comments:

  1. I love stories about "collectors," or "junkers." That last line really made me smile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I finished this book today Laurel and I liked a lot of it but, some was upsetting. (I'll review this weekend).

      Delete
  2. I'd read more! I prefer to call such items antiques or collectibles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd keep reading. I like the narrator's look at life and the things she collects. I sense humor too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a 30-something male; I liked the writing but - I was bothered a bit as well.

      Delete
  4. I like the opening although I detect a touch of pathos in that final sentence - I want to know what is coming next!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh I don't know about this one so I'd read more so I could make a decision. I like the voice but not sure I could read a lot without feeling a bit overwhelmed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It appeals to me - I'd keep on reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not sure if it would appeal to me. I suppose I would have to read more to make a decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not for everyone for sure. I liked it but, found some upsetting.

      Delete
  8. I think I'd keep reading. I would like to hear more about the "junk" the narrator collects and see what kind of stories that will lead to.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I'd continue to see if it continued to hold my interest. Yes, the last line is a bit sad, but I think that some are pleased their 'treasures' go to others who will love them. I don't feel the same as the author about 'junk', but I do about books. Old books - lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's hard for me to figure out where this is going...I'd have to read on a little bit to decide for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'd want to read more. It sounds like it could be interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'd read more for a bit before deciding. Like Charlie, I'm not sure where it's going, what genre it is, but it is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read this book several years ago and liked it a lot. And I loved THE LEISURE SEEKER.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Beth, so happy that you read both. I found the animal details upsetting in this one.

      Delete
  14. Not too sure about this one. (Although, like the narrator, I do possess rather a lot of what I would describe as, 'stuff'!)
    Miss Cellany.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL - I've gotten rid od lots of "stuff" in the last few years. Never was a junker though.

      Delete
  15. I would so read. I love the narrator's snark.

    Here's my FCFP post.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I might read mor, that last sentence is pretty funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian, I just finished this and liked it overall but, I bet you would not like this one - certain parts were upsetting to me an animal lover.

      Delete
  17. Diane,
    I'm utterly fascinated by this opener. Let us know how you like it, and I will look it up somewhere, somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Possibly--I can see some charm and quirkiness, but the wordiness might get to me.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It sounds so different, I mean who thought junk could even be possibly interesting. I'm indecisive...

    This week's answers

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.