Tuesday, March 21, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Widowmaker; Paul Dorion


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon.  This week's selection is part of a series. I started the audio version without reading the earlier installments and it's working out great so far.

Widowmaker; Paul Dorion
MacMillan Audio - 2016

1

"On my first day as a cadet at the Maine Criminal Justice Academy, the instructors showed my class the most disturbing video I had ever seen.  It was a montage of real-life footage--most of it taken during routine traffic stops -- of police officers who had been ambushed on the line of duty.  We saw cops being run over, cops being wrestled to the ground by multiple assailants, cops having their service weapons stripped from their hands and used to kill them.

"You only need to get careless once,' our instructor told us.  As if we needed to be told.

Five years had passed since I'd seen that video; I was no longer a twenty-three-year-old cadet, no longer a rookie, and yet those horrible images still made regular appearances in my nightmares.  Every time I went on patrol, without exception, I would hear my instructor's warning in my head, and I would wonder if this was the day that some seemingly harmless stranger would smile at me through a window and then shoot me in the face.

I might have called myself paranoid if I hadn't watched those cops being murdered,"

Based on this intro, would you read more or pass on this book?

Feel free to join in by posting your own First Chapter First Paragraph Intro and linking below.







33 comments:

  1. Not sure if this one is for me, but I hope it's a good read for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those images would be very disturbing...now I want to know how it all turns out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one has my name on it. I love to read mysteries and crime novels, but I don't read a lot from the point of view of the patrolman. Most main characters are detectives. I'm ready to try this one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd have to be in the right mood to read this one. It's too true-to-life these days! But I am curious about how the skier on the cover relates to the cop in the opening.
    Thank you for hosting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is so true Sandra. Sometimes in cases like this I have to remind myself it's -- fiction.

      Delete
  5. That is some opening! I'd be haunted by the video as well. The book sounds very intense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow that is an opening that really makes you think right from the start. I think it would be impossible not to be haunted by those images.

    ReplyDelete
  7. First - I'm sorry but I added a link to my post on Northanger Abbey in the Mr Linky, instead of to my first Chapter post on State of Wonder this week.Can you delete it for me please?

    Second - yes I would read more of Widow Maker - it's a shocking opening! The title doesn't bode well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh yeah, that drew me in immediately.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, yes! I would definitely keep reading. This sounds like something I would really like. I have never yet been to Maine, but I enjoy books set there. I can see why a video like that would cause nightmares! I think it would me too! Thanks for sharing, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not sure where it's going with those images and if I want to know, but I'm intrigued and curious as to what happens to this young policeman. I think you should keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a dark, harsh, opening. I think I would keep reading though.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This sounds like it could be a really good suspense story. I'd keep going.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hm. Maybe. He sounds like an interesting character, not a cliche.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'd keep reading. I'm already hooked — wanting to know where he's going and what will happen to him. Disturbing but probably a glimpse into reality for cops on the line.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I would keep reading too, it sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I would definitely keep reading. Sounds like a good story and a page turner. Plus, I love the cover art.
    Have a nice week,
    Laura
    My FPFC Tuesday

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have two sons who are police officers. This is our reality, so a definite no to reading this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.