Tuesday, March 28, 2017

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - How to Be Human; Paula Cocozza


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros sharing the first paragraph, maybe two, of a book that I'm reading or plan to read soon.


How to Be Human; Paula Cocozza
Metropolitan Books - Henry Holt - 2017

CHAPTER ONE

" There was a baby on the back step.  A white bundle, downward sloping, spilling two arms and a head, the head looking at the edge of the step precariously.  Not really looking.  The eyes were shut. One hand lay beside an ear, fingers stiffened into a fist that might have held something.  Such a beautiful hand: its sliver of palm was streaked with shimmers of purple and blue, veins rubbed with moonlight.

The surprise came not after seeing the baby, but from seeing what was around her.  A baby on a back step.  It was the step that was wrong.  She was meant--Mary turned to check that she was alone before she finished the thought.  She was meant to take the child into the house."

Based on this intro, would you read more or pass on this book?

Feel free to join in by posting your own First Chapter First Paragraph Intro and linking below.




22 comments:

  1. Yes, I'm definitely eager to learn more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would read more. I want to know more about the baby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds interesting! I want to know why the baby is on the step. Thanks for sharing, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG - of course I have to keep reading. I want to know what's going to happen to this baby! Oh, wait. This is fiction, right? Oh well, doesn't matter. I have to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I want to know where that baby came from and what happens next - Does she take it into the house?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Okay, that's attention grabbing! I need to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an unusual opening and situation. I would read on just to see....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm curious after that intro but, need to wait a few days before beginning.

      Delete
  8. I'm very curious, so yes, I'd keep reading. What an unusual opener.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes, I would keep ready too. Poor baby.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Every seemed to like the intro this week - unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. So intriguing! I'd keep reading.

    https://girlof1000wonders.wordpress.com/2017/03/28/tuesday-teaser-intro-last-night-with-the-duke/

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.