Thursday, January 24, 2019

An Elderly Lady is Up to No Good; Helene Tursten




AUTHOR: Helene Tursten
PUBLISHER: Soho Crime
PUB. YEAR: 2018
SETTING:  Sweden
FORMAT:  - print (library)
RATING: 5/5 stars

What a delight this book was - a 171 page mystery consisting of 5 connected short stories. Each story features Maud, an 88 Year old retired teacher who lives all alone, rent free, for as long as she lives, in a top floor apartment. She's been in the apartment for 60 years and, the rent-free part was a stipulation in her father's will. Maud is a senior citizen who travels solo and someone who just wants to be left alone. She's not a person to cross and also someone who not afraid of murderous retaliation.

Dark, just mildly disturbing but, utterly charming as well, each story is well-crafted and connected and, as you might expect, no one suspects 88 year-old Maud is capable of murder. I loved everything about this one and, the small size of this hardcover is wonderful. I've decided to buy a few copies to give to give as gifts.

From the Table of Contents:
  1. An Elderly Lady Has Accommodation Problems
  2. An Elderly Lady and Her Travels
  3. An Elderly Lady Seeks Peace at Christmastime
  4. The Antique Dealer's Death
  5. An Elderly Lady is Faced With a Dilemma

14 comments:

  1. This sounds fun and what a great cover!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm going to see if our library has this one... sounds delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting that this author has come out with a book of interconnected short stories. She has a mystery series that I haven't tried as yet, but it been going for quite a while. And I love the idea that a woman of 88 is capable of murder, but also presents a charming picture. Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maud sure sounds like a character to love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My guess is that the contents are as charming as the cover! Very nice review, Diane. I wouldn't mind a copy of this book!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had this checked out, but wasn't able to renew it, so I had to take it back without reading it. The size of the book surprised me - so small! I am definitely checking it out again and making time for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. 5/5! That's a great recommendation. I don't often read short stories so it would be good to read ones that are connected.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read some in her mystery series featuring Irene Huss. I love the sound of this! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just saw it is available at my state's downloadable library! Yay.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is not available on Netgalley so sad. This sounds such a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I read about this one somewhere else, too. Now, I really want a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm going to borrow this from my library! 5/5 rating makes it a no-brainer. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.