Tuesday, January 22, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Good Riddance, Elinor Lipman



Each Tuesday, Vicki, from I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where  readers post the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book that they are reading or plan to read. (This week's pick is by one of my favorite author's.)

Good Riddance; Elinor Lipman
Houghton, Mifflin Harcourt - 2019

1.
The Grateful Class of 68

"FOR A FEW WEEKS after my mother's death, I was in possession of the painstakingly annotated high school yearbook that had been dedicated to her by the grateful class of 1968.

Yes, she'd been their English teacher and yearbook advisor, but that didn't explain her obsessive collecting of signatures and tributes next to every senior's photo.  I could picture her --age twenty-three, her first job after college, roaming the corridors or Pickering High School, pen and book in hand, coaxing the shyest, least engaged boy or girl to sign--Write anything, I want to remember every one of you. Could you personalize it, just a few words?"

Would you read more or take a pass?

26 comments:

  1. I think I'd continue. I'd like to see what is happening and maybe what happened earlier. Enjoy, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm curious so I would keep reading. See what Susan is featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to this one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this author's books, and it has been a while...I love the sound of this one. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds pretty good to us too, we'd read on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first paragraph does not seem to fit with the title. I will await a review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's very enjoyable so far, I haven't finished as I have a few books going right now.

      Delete
  7. I'm curious but I think I need to read a little bit more...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm curious about what's going on in that first paragraph. I'd like to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the first sentence. I can definitely picture her 23 year old mother clutching the year book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would keep reading a bit more to decide.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Given it is Elinor, I would continue to read (I like my New England authors and she is as funny as they come) but I don't feel the urge to read her the first month she comes out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too, she dedicates this one to the late Anita Shreve (miss her).

      Delete
  12. Very interesting! I would read on...I’m curious and want to know what happens next.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.