Sunday, January 16, 2022

Book Review - After: A Doctor Explores What Near-Death Experiences Reveal About Life and Beyond; Bruce Greyson, M.D.


Bruce Greyson, M.D. - St. Martin Essentials - 2021 
 (library loan - hardcover)

I decided to try this book after a woman in my book group was talking about how much she liked it. It is written by an Emeritus Professor of Psychiatry and Neurobehavioral Sciences at the University of Virginia and covers nearly 50 years of research.

Greyson, a self-proclaimed skeptic and not a religious man began to study Near-Death experiences as a medical student.  One day while in medical school and eating lunch in the hospital cafeteria he was called to the ER to see an unconscious woman who attempted suicide.  Something she said the following day after she regained consciousness perplexed him and made him want to pursue NDE's further.  

This book shares a good amount of other ND experiences and what the individual reports having experienced. The ages and sexes of the individuals varied (from as young as age 8years of age.) The religious beliefs of the individuals and what they experienced all varied - white light,  welcoming presence and seeing others that passed earlier.  One 17 year old, non-believer, a college student from NJ had reported during a scuba diving incident where he was drowning described it as a peaceful, floating experience , very peaceful with flowery meadows - no heaven, hell or limbo rather a peaceful surrender. Another 49 year old non believer described it as a peaceful, pleasant transition to another state. 

Greyson also mentions that many others keep ND experiences to themselves because of a fear or stigma associated with the experience - fearing that others would think were mentally ill or that they would face ridiculed The doctor doesn't provide all the answers people may be looking for but , he does provides food for thought. I do wish there was more research on what comes after.  Overall - a different kind of read for me - taken with a grain of salt.

SIDE NOTE - When my own brother was dying of cancer in 2009, his wife and I asked him in his final weeks to provide us with a sign that he was okay after he died. (I also asked him not to call any family reunions any time soon - as I would be the last of my birth family still living.)  Well, it's (2022) and I'm still here but in the (12 ) months after he died, his wife had to replace nearly (30) light bulbs that would randomly burn out in her (6) room condo - is this freaky or what?  Once a year had passed, this too had stopped.

Do you believe in an afterlife? (I do not but, if I'm wrong, I'd like to come back as someones well-loved, well-fed house cat who lives an additional (9) lives.

Rating - 4/5 stars

18 comments:

  1. That might be interesting but it might be a bit Stephen King.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also do not believe in an afterlife, but am willing to embrace it if I am wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so fascinated by this kind of thing. I'd like to believe in an afterlife but am not convinced. Scientifically my brain says, 'No, don't be daft' but I do feel there's much more to life than science, which is why I like reading this kind of book. Looking for answers I suppose and so much is unexplained. My uncle was with his cousin (my aunt) when she died. The last thing she said when she died, 'It's all right, Frances is here waiting for me', Frances was my grandmother and the two were great friends. When 'he' died he told my cousin that his wife was waiting for him. You can't simply dismiss that kind of thing. Thanks for reviewing this one, Diane! It's going on my tbr shelf on Goodreads. (Sorry for the long-winded comment.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cath, that is fascinating! I think you will enjoy reading this one. I recall after my parents dies about 15 months apart reading several of those "life after life" kinds of books - they were comforting at the time.

      Delete
    2. I discovered that my county library catalogue has it so it's now on reserve. Happy bunny! Thanks, Diane!

      Delete
  4. I can believe a peaceful, pleasant transition, at least I hope it would be like that for everyone.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Diane! I'm the odd one out and I do believe in an after life yes! And of course a rainbow bridge so I can one day, when the time comes, be reunited with Elza. Although they might kick her out for naughtiness and being a real drama queen....

    Lovely and honest review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When my husband broke his neck he almost died. He told everyone that at one point it was like he was above his bed looking down on himself and everyone else in the room. Then when he actually did die, for a few months I would be driving down the road and see a group of yellow butterflies (his favorite color was yellow), sometimes my kids were with me so they saw them too. I had never seen that before and haven't since. When my mom was dying she'd look out the window and watch the birds that landed on the clothesline. After she died, for a while I saw bird feathers on the ground or on the floor at different stores, and haven't since. I'd like to read this book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just checked and my library has it. I'm first in line to get it :)

      Delete
    2. Vicki - those stories you mentioned gave me goose-bumps. They say there is a certain energy that remains for a while once a person dies - which might explain the signs you and my SIL experienced?? I'd like to think that there might be a sign to say our loved one was okay. I hope you enjoy the book.

      Delete
  7. I'd like to see all my beloved animals and lost friends in the afterlife ... So sorry to hear about your brother. The light bulb story is interesting ... and I like to think it was him.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love this topic! And we truly believe in a Rainbow bridge. If animals are sentient beings created by a higher power, why wouldn't they be there too! I might want to read this.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.