Sunday, January 9, 2022

My Week and some 2022 Book Reviews - Honor; Thrity Umrigar; Abide with Me; Elizabeth Strout and Amy and Isabelle; Elizabeth Strout

 




This was a week where I rarely left the house.  I did go to yoga Monday but felt uncomfortable with the raging virus even if we are fully vaccinated. One of our yoga ladies passed away (virus complications) just before New Years (she was older and hadn't been to yoga class since September but, sad to hear about this.) Tuesday (2) of our granddaughters were off from school and mom had meetings so we spent the day playing Boggle, The Game of Life, cards and drawing - very fun. Wednesday was freezing rain - so another good reason to skip yoga and stay home and read. Thursday my husband had a doctor's appointment and I needed to pick up some new eyeglasses and Friday we woke up to 3" of snow.  I  was happy to spend more time at home reading.  I even went so far as to place a large grocery delivery.  I'm still debating whether I will return to yoga tomorrow.

READING - My first week of 2022 was a rewarding one for  books. I was able to finish (3) books - all written by favorite authors.  All of these books were worth spending time with as well. I'm so happy I created a January game plan of (12) books that I really wanted to read or listen to in January.  Given my list isn't set in stone - I seem to do better following some sort of list/plan.  Here is what I read:

Honor; Thrity Umrigar
Algonquin Books - 2022
(arc and eGalley - sent to me by publisher)

Smita Agarwal was born in India but moved to the US with her family when she was a teen. Something happened to her in India and, she never planned on returning to the place of her birth.  Living in NYC and working as a foreign correspondent she is asked by a good friend, also a correspondent, who is hospitalized to come to her aid in India.  It isn't until later that she learns that she won't be helping her friend to heal but, rather covering an important story about a Hindu woman named Meena who was attacked and disfigured by members of her own village after she married  Abdul, a Muslim man.  Abdul was burned to death by Meenas own brothers just four months into their marriage in what was considered to be an "honor killing."

I didn't know much about this story going into it and, although it is very well written and tells an important story, there was a bit too much shocking detail revealed IMO. I realize it is important not to bury the atrocities that happen around the world, I just don't think I was prepared for such a heavy read for my first book of 2022.  Don't get me wrong, there are some lighter moments in the novel but readers should be prepared for some dark plot lines.

Rating - 4/5 stars

Abide with Me; Elizabeth Strout
Random House Audio - 2006
narrator - Bernadette Dunne - very good
(library download)

One of my 2022 goals was to read any Elizabeth Strout novels I may have missed - there were (2) - Abide with Me and Amy and Isabelle - both were very good stories.

The story takes place in 1959 in the small town of West Annett, Maine where Tyler Caskey is a minister.  West Annett is the kind of town where rumor and speculation sometimes bring out the worst in people and secrets don't stay secrets for long.  As the story begins Tyler is living with his 5-year old daughter Katherine, a troubled girl who rarely speaks except maybe to utter the words that she hates God. Katherine is cared for by his housekeeper Connie. He also has an infant daughter, Jeannie, who lives with Tyler's mother.  What happened to Tyler's wife Lauren, the mother of his children?  Bit by bit the story is revealed.

I loved this quiet, reflective noel. The author does not spell everything out for the reader but yet she does a wonderful job of painting a clear picture for the reader of the good, the bad and the ugliness of the characters.  The reader is left with a reminder of how all of us go through rough times at some point in our lives and just how important it is to help and support those who are struggling.  I liked the flashback to just how different childrearing was in 1959 than the present.  Abide with Me is a quiet, yet deeply affecting read. The audio version was excellent.

Rating - 4.5/5 stars

Amy and Isabelle; Elizabeth Strout
Random House Audio - 2013
narrator - Stephanie Roberts - very good
(library download)

The small New England town of Shirley Falls is the setting for Amy and Isabelle - a mother/daughter story.  Isabelle Goodrow and teenage daughter Amy are a twosome. When anyone asks Isabelle about her situation she tells them that both her husband and parents have passed away.  Isabelle works in a small office and keeps to herself, she isn't a part of the office circle and she doesn't date.  Amy is a shy 16 year old protected by her mother to a certain extent. One day Amy's crush on a high school teacher and some sexual experimentation which follows threatens to shatter the mother-daughter bond.

Although primarily a story about Amy & Isabelle, the author has created several memorable secondary characters and has even woven a story about a missing 12-year old girl into the novel to create a mystery feel.  The mother-daughter love/hate relationship was well-written and realistic (those years can sure be trying for mothers and daughters). Amy is a beautiful young woman and Isabelle's resentment over the sacrifices she has made seemed to ring true. I liked when Isabelle finally becomes part of the office circle - those women were fun and their comments resulted in some laughable moments which took away from the mother/daughter tension.  There were some pretty specific sexual visuals but I thought all were tastefully done. I enjoyed this story of mothers/daughters, female friendship and missed opportunities. Another audio book that was very well done.

Rating - 4/5 stars

Coming Week Reading Plans
  1. Winter Solstice; Rosamunde Pilcher  (almost done and loving this one. I started it in December on audio but, had to wait for print copy to arrive as audio wasn't working well for me.)
  2. The Maid; Nita Prose
  3. In Five Years; Rebecca Serle (book group pick for January)
  4. After: A Doctor Explore What Near Death Experiences Reveal About Life & Beyond;Bruce Greyson M.D.
How was your week? Read any good books?

37 comments:

  1. I love the snow photo, it's beautiful!

    Thinking of reading, haven't quite made my mind up yet.

    I've enjoyed every Strout book I've read and will listen to Abide and Amy & Isabelle soon. I would have passed on the last one if you hadn't added that the sexual visuals were tastefully done, so thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by Vicki. I think you will enjoy these Elizabeth Strout books.

      Delete
  2. I've had a cold all week, so I've skipped the Y, and that saddens me because it seems like it's only been in the last few weeks that I felt comfortable enough to return.

    I have always meant to read to read other Elizabeth Strout books, so I'm glad you are venturing into that territory and looking carefully at some of her books for us. Oddly, though I've read four Strout novels, these are two I have missed.

    I've heard lots of good things about The Maid and Winter Solstice, so I look forward to seeing what you think about these soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Deb...These (2) Eliz Strout books were among her firsts - terrific writing and what I love is that the stories are memorable long after. I finished Winter Solstice this evening and LOVED it - people dealing with difficult situations and ending with a feel good ending.

      Delete
    2. So glad to see how much you liked Winter Solstice.

      Delete
  3. We had several inches of snow this week too. It's so fun to spend a day playing games.

    I loved Winter Solstice too. In fact, most things I have read by Rosamunde Pilcher I have enjoyed.

    Have a good and safe week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, I had to purchase The Shell Seekers as I finished and loved Winter Solstice. Stay safe - hate when it's slippery walking.

      Delete
  4. I keep telling myself that I'm going to try to start yoga here in our new town. However, the times are not suiting me well and I'm also kind of leary of a bunch of people in a confined space. I do not want to wear a mask while yoga-ing. Think I'm about resigned to just get with it and do online classes until who knows when. That will work better for timing of my other pursuits anyway.

    You're about the 5th book friend that I've had that has recently read or is reading or rereading Winter Solstice. Seems so popular this year. I'm about to start The Maid, which I've got checked out of the library. And I need to get going on it because I can't renew it - others want it.

    Hope your week goes well, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Kay, I am beginning to want to avoid yoga class with the raging virus. I think I mentioned my instructor and her husband got the virus in December. I just finished Winter Solstice tonight and loved it. The Maid is supposed to be a gem; I'll be starting it as well.

      Delete
  5. I think I won't read Honor. Back to the romcoms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I wasn't prepared for Honor - but, it is still a very good story.

      Delete
  6. Winter Solstice is on my list for this year too so I'm pleased to hear that you love it. I'm intrigued by the Near Death experiences book you have lined up for this week. Would love to hear about that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Winter Solstice was wrapped up this evening and my, did I enjoy it. Such a nice change and feel good story. I love the way the author describes the finest detail - letting the reader feel like they are right there in the story. The Bruce Greyson book is intriguing. I actually read several chapters a few days ago....I'll post my thoughts once I've finished. Have a great week.

      Delete
  7. I'm an Elizabeth Strout fan, too. I haven't read either of these stories, either. Thanks for bringing them to my attention. My Sunday Salon Post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anne, these were her (2) earliest books - lovely writing as we have come to expect from this author.

      Delete
  8. Those sound like some pretty good books. Keep plenty warm and safe up that way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian - hope your weather is better and that you have a nice week.

      Delete
  9. This past week was supposed to be my week in the office, but with my allergy symptoms being so bad, I was able to get a reprieve and work from home. My husband was relieved. The way the virus is running rampant through staff in my agency right now, he was worried about me. I am so sorry to hear about one of your yoga classmates passing away. My mom has continued with her yoga class from her hometown even though she's moved here since it's been virtual. I am glad she's been able to keep that connection going.

    I am so glad you had a good reading week. I am really looking forward to reading Honor. I haven't yet read anything by Elizabeth Strout, but I have a couple of her books on my TBR shelf to try. I'm so glad you enjoyed her books!

    I hope you enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hoping you feel better this week. So many are sick with virus - ugh - will we ever move beyond this? Glad your mom can still connect, at least virtually with old friends. I hope you do try Strout Wendy, you will be in for a treat! Have a good week.

      Delete
  10. I recall that I read Amy & Isabelle a long time ago! But now I have little memory of it. I'm starting to wonder if Umrigar's novel Honor will be for me .... too much shocking detail ... might be over the top for me. Is the ending worthwhile? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say the ending was overshadowed by the darker parts that I hadn't been prepared for.

      Delete
  11. All three books sound extremely good reading. Unfortunately honor killings are commonplace in not just India and Pakistan but also in England where trying to balance two cultures sometimes becomes too much for rigid families. Thanks for the updates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I appreciate your feedback and clarification about "honor killings,"

      Delete
  12. Thanks for reminding me of these two Strout books which I have not read either. Adding them to my list for 2022, but I think I'll pass on Honor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really liked those Strout books Dorothy but, then I didn't think that Strout would disappoint me either:)

      Delete
  13. Lists keep me motivated.
    I’ve yet to read Strout despite good intentions
    Right now stating h9me seems sensible

    Wishing you a great reading week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shelleyrae, I hope you try Elizabeth Strout - very rewarding reads.

      Delete
  14. You certainly had a busy week with some really good reading; what a great way to start the year.

    It seems we all know many, many people who currently have COVID and also a few people who have died from it. It's difficult to imagine a time when this won't be ever-present.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COVID just isn't going away and it seems like even the medical professionals feel like it is here to stay. Maybe it is time for, at least the vaccinated, to get on with living (nothing too risky of course) and chance it?

      Delete
  15. I really appreciate your reviews of the two Strout novels, Diane. Now that she's become a real favorite of mine, I want to read the early stuff at some point, and it helps to know a little about them before I do that, so thanks.

    I see that you have The Maid on your reading list now...I must be the only one who hasn't gotten to it yet. I see it everywhere but know next to nothing about it, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sam, I was thrilled that I still had (2) unread earliest Strout novels to start 2022 off with - both very good. The Maid seems to be everywhere. I just started it and it is fun murder mystery thus far....quirky as well.

      Delete
  16. The snow photo is so beautiful... I *almost* miss it! ;-)

    I'm planning to read Honor either later this month or next. I'll also add Abide with Me to my list. Thought I'd read all of Elizabeth Strout, but can't find any record of this and it doesn't sound familiar. Glad to have another one of her books to discover! Have a good week, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I was thrilled to see I still had (2) unread Strout books to begin the New Year with and, fortunately, since they were older ones, they were readily available from the library. I hope you enjoy Honor - great writing but kinda dark for my first book.

      Delete
  17. I'm happy with at-home yoga right now. It seems like everybody I know is sick. I hope you're having a good week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - I miss talking with my yoga buddies but I stayed away this week too.

      Delete
  18. I'm sorry to hear about one of your yoga friends. What a sad shame. :( I've been on jury duty this month, which is a little scary because of covid, but we're all being very careful so I'm hopeful that I won't catch it. We begin deliberations today, so I may be finished soon. Glad you were able to spend some time with your granddaughters.

    You enjoyed Amy & Isabelle more than I did, but I read it back in 2000, so maybe my opinion would be different if I read it now. I'm still reading Taste (Tucci) and One Two Three (Frankel). I'm getting anxious about finishing my current reads and starting something new, which is silly since I'm enjoying both books. If I finish those before the 15, that's still three read in two weeks (I finished Winter Solstice earlier this month), but I don't want to fall too far behind with my goal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They actually postponed jury duty here for at least a month; I hope yours is over soon. I'm often anxious to begin a new book too even when I am enjoying my current read - I still think about what would be fun next. For me some sort of a game plan works well. So far January is a good month as it's been very cold and we are in a lot it seems since New Years. Hope this is a good month for you.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.