Tuesday, January 18, 2022

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros; Ladder of the Years; Anne Tyler

 Welcome to First Chapter/Intros, hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book ReviewsEach week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book we are reading or plan to read soon.  

I love Anne Tyler and recently realized that I don't think I've ever read her 1995 book, Ladder of the Years so, in anticipation of her coming March (2022) release French Braid, I want to remedy that.

Recorded Books (Library loan)

INTRO

Baltimore Woman Disappears During Family Vacation

Delaware State Police announced early today that Cordelia F. Grinstead, 40, wife of a Roland Park, physician, has been reported missing while on holiday with her family in Bethany Beach.

Mrs. Grinstead was last seen around noon this past Monday, walking south along the stretch of sand between Bethany and Sea Colony.

Witnesses of her departure--her husband Dr. Samuel Grinstead, 55, her three children, Susan 21, Ramsay, 19, and Carroll, 15--were unable to recall any suspicious characters in the vicinity.  They reported to the best of their recollection, she simply strolled away. Her failure to return was not remarked until late afternoon.

A slender, small-boned woman with curly fair or light-brown hair, Mrs. Grinstead stands 5'2" or possibly 5'5" and weighs either 90 or 110 pounds. Her eyes are blue or gray or possibly green, and her nose is mildly sunburned in addition to being freckled.

I don't know about you but this intro about Mrs Grinstead made me smile - how very little attention her family seemed to pay her.  Have you read it---would you read more?  Can't wait to begin it.

19 comments:

  1. I read this one a few years ago, and now I want to reread it! I love Anne Tyler's books. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And now I have pre-ordered French Braid! Thanks for the update.

      Delete
    2. LOL - she is a wonderful writer - sorry to act as your behavior catalyst today LOL

      Delete
  2. I never read this one, but the intro really grabbed my interest. I'll have to see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know I read this one ages ago--but I can't remember anything about it, lol. I hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Catherine - don't feel bad as last week I was looking through a list of books I read in 2010 and honestly, nearly half seemed unfamiliar to me --sad. (Only so much our brains can retain I guess).

      Delete
  4. Big Anne Tyler fan here and I don't recall ever even hearing of this book. But now that I have, I will definitely put it on my reading list! Thanks for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised that I couldn't find a blog post in last 13 years about it and, it just doesn't seem familiar - that INTRO made me smile though LOL

      Delete
  5. I have always wanted to try her books and yet haven't managed it. I love the intro you shared here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds interesting, yes, lots of detail but no attention to her, not sure of her weight or height. I've been to Bethany Beach too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The introduction impressed me. Three children and her husband and they didnt know the color of her eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was the first selection of our playgroup-turned-bookgroup way back in the early 90s! Hope you enjoy it, and I'm eagerly awaiting French Braid, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't that funny-yes, 1995 release. I'm enjoying this and it does seem like a great discussion book as well.

      Delete
  9. That is noteworthy that they didn't know key aspects of her appearance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know - like she was invisible to her family. I'd disappear too LOL

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.