Sunday, December 5, 2010

157 - The Last Train; Gordon Titcomb














The Last Train tells the story of railroad days of years gone by. Told by a boy whose father and grandfather worked for the railroad as an engineer and station master.

"My Granddad was a railroad man, he drove the trains around, My Daddy, he sold tickets till they closed the station down. "

The once shiny train track are now rusty, since it has been thirty years since the last train road the tracks. The steam engines replace by diesel and electric powered trains.

 The Last Train is a touching story of days gone by. The fabulous painting illustrations by Wendell Minor tell the story of the railroad past and present. The story is told in rhyme fashion that will keep young children engaged, and parents too should enjoy the lovely story and pictures that tell a somewhat sad but engaging story of the way life use to be. I was wowed by this book and illustrations. The music cd which accompanied this book was great as well, with the foreward  by Arlo Guthrie.

Gordon Titcomb, is not only an author, but an amazing folk musician who has performed for 25 years with some of the world's most renowned artists, such as Arlo Guthrie, Hank Williams Jr. and Paul Simon. The words in the book are based on a song by the same name from 2005, and the rhythm of the music carries through this beautiful book, as you turn the pages and read along.   HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

RATING - 5/5
(sent by author)

6 comments:

  1. Sounds rather nostalgic. I love the cover art. It reminds me of The Polar Express.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this one sounds delightful and one that an obsessed Thomas the Tank Engine kid may really enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Both of my nephews just love trains and I bet this would make a great book for them this Christmas. Thanks for sharing this post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How cool, an all around artist fur sure!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like a fun holiday read for kids. Maybe it's because of the Polar Express, but for some reason I always associate trains with Christmas and winter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover-I think I have a lot of students who would love this title.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.