Thursday, January 17, 2013

Williams Sonoma Soup of the Day: 365 Recipes for Every Day of the Year



Kate McMillan (Author), Erin Kunkel (Photographer) (Wendel Owen Publishing - 2012)
 
I've rarely been disappointed by a Williams-Sonoma Cookbook. We are a soup-loving family so I couldn't resist checking this one out.  It is both lovely and well designed with a calendar-style with loads of recipes soups and stews for every season  and every day of the week -- 365 recipes.
 
There are lots of great recipes that should please vegetarians and meat lovers alike. All the bases are covered in this book. At least 3/4 of the recipes are ones that I would consider preparing, although a few seemed like ones that I might like to add more spices to based on my family's taste. 
 
The color photographs are gorgeous, but there were not enough of them, in my opinion. There were a few minor things that I did not like about the book:
  • Some recipes like the ones for pureed soups require a food processor
  • As a visual person, I would have preferred more photographs, and the photos should have corresponding text to tell you what recipe is being displayed.
  • The print is also very very tiny (at least for my eyes), so for readers who may be visually impaired, and are still interested in this book, that might be an issue. If available,  I would recommend an eBook version so you can enlarge the print to a size that is comfortable for your eyes.
Some of the recipes that I plan to try include:
  • Savory Barley Soup with Wild Mushroom and Thyme
  • Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar and Blue Cheese
  • Shrimp Bisque
  • Broccoli Soup with Parmesan Lemon Frico
  • Orzo, Delicate Squash and Chicken Soup with Sage
  • Chickpea and Roasted Tomato Soup with Fried Rosemary
 Other than the few things I've mentioned, this is a beautiful book to add to any collection.
 
Rating 4/5 stars

26 comments:

  1. I love soup and am always on the lookout for new recipes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Browse first at library or bookstore to see what you think. It is beautiful but might not be a BUY for everyone.

      Delete
  2. I'm always a bit disappointed when I see a food processor in a recipe too. I use my blender when it's really necessary but it doesn't work quite as well and tends to get explodey. Maybe I need to break down and buy one to truly become proficient at soups.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm those sound delicious! Soup is do good when it's cold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Soup is the best winter food! I love making it when it's chilly outside!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had gotten this book to review a while back in digital download. I loved it so much I bought it. We just made the potato/leek/celery soup the other weekend. SO good!! I threw it in the blender as I didn't want to find the FP in the basement and put it all together.

    They make a salad cookbook that is similar, too.
    -beth

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Dad and Mom love to go to their store and snoop around. They have lots of soup in the winter months so that book sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. How cool is this??????? What a great book and Williams Sonoma rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm off to see if my library has this book! We love soup too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to make homemade soups these days because any of the ones I buy, usually have gluten in them. I SO love soup though that I usually make huge pots so I can always have some on hand.

    Looks like a great book but the small print would bug me a tiny bit.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have a few recipe for soup that my family loves, but to tell you the truth, once you start involving the food processor, things become a little more complicated. I might have to give this one an inspection and see if there are many recipes inside that I would want to try for myself. Excellent review. Thanks for sharing both the ups and downs of this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you about pictures. I want a photo for every recipe! Sounds like a delicious book though!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for highlighting a book that's perfect for this time of year. It's been chilly on the east coast, and you've inspired me to make some soup this weekend...will serve with a salad and loaf of crusty bread.

    Catherine @ bookclublibrarian

    ReplyDelete
  13. These soups sound yummy. I too like photos but I suppose I can imagine the soup if there isn't one. Checking it out at the library first would be a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  14. The cover of this looks like a work of art (too bad there are not more photos inside), and the soups you mention sound wonderful. I never heard of fried rosemary before!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love soup and am always on the look out for recipes, but they have to be easy. I need photos too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm a huge soup lover. I too need photos and lots of them!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I just need someone to make me some actual soup! I'm back online but with Windows 8...I could just cry!

    ReplyDelete
  18. One more thing. I just read Prodigal Summer, my first Kinsolver. I highly recommend it! Soooo good. The detail of her wildlife description was fascinating to me. I want to read all of her books now. I saw it on your list of to reads.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks so delicious... and wholesome. And that's a great idea to have a soup a day, all different for the whole year. What an achievement if someone tries to follow exactly that... ah, haven't we heard of that before? Julie and Julia?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooooooo! I do love soup. I don't use a food processor for pureed soup even if it calls for it. I asked for (and received) an immersion blender for Christmas one year and it is my favorite kitchen invention ever (and not expensive either) so it negates the need for a food processor. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love soups! I have to check this one out. Thanks for reviewing this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I live off soup, literally live... I might have to pick up a copy of this one for ideas.

    Hope you are well!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks wonderful! I have a W&S Comfort Food cookbook and oh boy is it ever delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've never looked at a Williams-Sonoma cookbook - this does sound good. We love soup in the fall and winter! Interesting that this is soup for 365 days a year - I always say soup is for cold weather, but my son disagrees! Some of these recipes sound delicious.

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  25. The only way I can get Gage to eat veggies is in soup (as long as he sees crackers on top) so I need to check out some great soup recipes. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.