Kate McMillan (Author), Erin Kunkel (Photographer) (Wendel Owen Publishing - 2012)
I've rarely been disappointed by a Williams-Sonoma Cookbook. We are a soup-loving family so I couldn't resist checking this one out. It is both lovely and well designed with a calendar-style with loads of recipes soups and stews for every season and every day of the week -- 365 recipes.
There are lots of great recipes that should please vegetarians and meat lovers alike. All the bases are covered in this book. At least 3/4 of the recipes are ones that I would consider preparing, although a few seemed like ones that I might like to add more spices to based on my family's taste.
The color photographs are gorgeous, but there were not enough of them, in my opinion. There were a few minor things that I did not like about the book:
- Some recipes like the ones for pureed soups require a food processor
- As a visual person, I would have preferred more photographs, and the photos should have corresponding text to tell you what recipe is being displayed.
- The print is also very very tiny (at least for my eyes), so for readers who may be visually impaired, and are still interested in this book, that might be an issue. If available, I would recommend an eBook version so you can enlarge the print to a size that is comfortable for your eyes.
Some of the recipes that I plan to try include:
- Savory Barley Soup with Wild Mushroom and Thyme
- Cauliflower Soup with Cheddar and Blue Cheese
- Shrimp Bisque
- Broccoli Soup with Parmesan Lemon Frico
- Orzo, Delicate Squash and Chicken Soup with Sage
- Chickpea and Roasted Tomato Soup with Fried Rosemary
Other than the few things I've mentioned, this is a beautiful book to add to any collection.
Rating 4/5 stars