Friday, April 12, 2013

Benediction; Kent Haruf



Title: Benediction
Author: Kent Haruf
Publication Year:  2013

Publisher: Knopf
Edition: eGalley/ARC
Source: Edelweiss and Amazon Vine
 
Setting: Colorado
Date Completed: April - 2013
Rating: 4.5/5 
Recommend: yes



Intro  Quote -- "WHEN THE TEST came back the nurse called them into the examination room and when the doctor entered the room he just looked at them and asked them to sit down. They could tell by the look on his face where matters stood." 

....so begins Benediction, the 3rd in novel by this author set in the fictional town of Holt, Colorado.  

It's a wonderful story about small town life, and while it is pretty evident from the beginning paragraph someone will probably die in this novel, it is never depressing.  The terminally ill character in this book is Dad Lewis, age 79, and dying of lung cancer. 

Dad Lewis has owned the hardware store in the fictional town of Holt, Colorado for years, and with just months to live, and his wife Mary by his side, he is working at settling his affairs.  The character's in this novel are all memorable.  Dad's grown daughter Lorraine comes home to help her mother care for dad.  Dad also has a gay son named Frank who left home years ago when rejected by his dad when he first learned that he was homosexual. Dad and Mary try to find Frank before it's too late. 

The harsh words that separated father and son -- Dad asks his son...."What are you anyways?"  His son replies, "I'm just your boy. That's all I am." 

There are also a number of neighbors: Berta, a woman in her 80's who is raising her 8 year-old granddaughter, Alice. Neighbors, Wila and Alene, and Reverend Lyle who has his own family problems and controversy surrounding him.  

If you tend to shy away from stories when you know someone is ill or going to die, I urge you not to do so with this novel.  It's not depressing, it life-affirming, and reminds us home making peace with the past is important.  This is story was a vivid reminder of life, family and losing a loved one.  Having enjoyed this story so much, I hope to read the author's first two novels, Plainsong and Eventide as well.

9 comments:

  1. I love to read about small town life but don't want to live in a small town. This sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Kathy, love the setting of a small town, wouldn't want to live in one again. And I love the cover of this book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used an audible credit to buy this a few days ago! Can't wait to listen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Plainsong and Eventide, but it's been a long time. Maybe I should reread them before attempting Benediction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry, I had to delete my other comment because my son logged in and it came up with his id! Anyway, I really want to read this one. It sounds like my type of book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm with JoAnn, in loving Plainsong and Eventide so I was really looking forward to this one. So glad to hear I will not be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Plainsong snuck up on me so I think I'll have to check this one out as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have such high hopes for this one! My mom loved it and I've heard nothing but great things about the book. I loved Plainsong and Eventide (not so much his other books), but there's a part of me that's worried it won't live up to my expectations. Guess I'll just have to dive in and see for myself. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.