Thursday, April 25, 2013

The Comfort of Lies; Randy Susan Meyers


Title: The Comfort of Lies
Author: Randy Susan Meyer
Publication Year:  2013

Publisher: Atria
Edition: eGalley
Source: NetGalley

Setting: New England
Date Completed: April - 2013
Rating: 4/5 
Recommended: yes


The Comfort of Lies in a terrific character study about how infidelity, a resulting pregnancy and subsequent baby given up for adoption effects the lives of so many individuals: (3) mothers, (2) fathers and a now five year old girl, Savannah.
 
Five years earlier Tia fell in love with with a married man. Nathan had a wife, Juliette,  and two young sons that he adored.  When Tia became pregnant Nathan walked away.  Alone, her mother dying, Tia wanted more for her baby than she could provide at the time so she put the baby up for adoption. Never giving up hope that she could reconnect with the daughter she gave away later on.
 
Savannah is adopted by a well-off professional couple, Caroline and Peter. Caroline is a pathologist and unsure whether motherhood is right for her, and almost from the get-go problems begin to surface.
 
This is one of those stories where I can't say too much without giving out some spoilers.  It's definitely a case of Nathan, you can run, but you can't hide, and once the secret is found out by all parties involved, no ones life will ever be the same.
 
The story is told from the various points of view, and although none of the characters were really sympathetic (except for the child), I was heavily engaged in the story, and never really sure how it would end.  Readers who enjoy character driven novels, especially ones weighted in the women's fiction category will enjoy this story.  I've also read and enjoyed The Murder's Daughters by this author and recommend that book as well.
 

18 comments:

  1. I don't think I could read this because I would be obsessed with wanting to kill Nathan!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very compelling to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love reading your reviews as they give such good insight as to what is on offer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved her other book, but missed the boat when this one first came out. I'm not sure how I missed that she had a new book out, but I did.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved her first book, and I have this one waiting patiently on my bookshelves.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got this on my stacks and now want to pull it out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will add this to my TBR list as well. Excellent review, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have this one coming on audio from the library, and I have heard great things about it. I know that all the characters are pretty unlikable, but that doesn't usually hamper my enjoyment of a book. I am also so interested in how this story plays out. I can't wait for it to get here! Excellent review today!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've heard a lot about this book recently, and it does sound interesting. I am glad you liked it so much, Diane. It sounds like it's the type of book that would garner a good discussion.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Unlikable characters do dampen my pleasure in a book but this one has had good reviews. The topic is also full of drama, so I need to be in the right mood to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it sounds darn interesting too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved your review! This one really had my wheels spinning wondering how it might all turn out. I really liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I swear I'm the only person who didn't love this book. Glad you enjoyed it so much!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Glad to see you liked it, Diane. It's on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like a riveting read. I like that it is told from different points of view. I'll be adding this to my wishlist! Great review, Diane! You sold me on this book!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I donated this one to my library because I didn't think I would want to read it, however I do enjoy a good character driven book...

    ReplyDelete
  17. I don't know. I have her first book so I'll try that one first!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.