Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Perfect Ghost, Linda Barnes

Title: The Perfect Ghost
Author: Linda Barnes
Publication Year:  2013
Publisher: Minotaur Books
Source: Amazon Vine
Setting: Massachusetts
Date Completed: June - 2013
Rating: 3.5/5



Em Moore, an advanced degree in English, but quiet, insecure and anxiety-ridden when it comes to dealing with people. She was in the process of ghostwriting a biography about famous actor and director, Garrett Malcolm. When the other half of her writing team, Teddy Blake is killed in a car accident on Cape Cod, Em is devastated and frightened about having to take over his role on the project.. Now Em, must not only worry about doing the writing but the interviewing as well.

She does what she has to do and heads out to Malcolm Garrett's mansion to work on the interviewing piece of the project. She is taken by the handsome man, but before long there appears to be some secrets he is hiding. In addition the police are investigating Teddy's death, as it just may not have been an accident.

Initially, I had a tough time with the way this book is written. It starts out with Em talking to Teddy (who is dead), and then playing recordings of interviews that Teddy had taped while interviewing Malcolm. However, once, I understood what was going I was able to enjoy the rest of the mystery which had some good twists and almost a Gothic-like feel to the story.

5 comments:

  1. Interesting premise. Sounds little bit iffy to me though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That does sound like it might take a while to get into but had me at "gothic"-like. Will have to check this one out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like something I might like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might read this one. Thanks for the heads up on the strange beginning. Sometimes books written in this fashion have a way of making me feel stupid because I'm lost!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You sold me on the word Gothic, eventhough it may not fit perfectly. I may have to check this one out. Though I must say, the cover doesn't grab me.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.