Thursday, June 27, 2013

The Yankee Chef: Feel Good Food for Every Kitchen; Jim Bailey


Schiffer Publishing, Ltd.~ February 2013

As a life long New Englander, I am always looking for new ways to tweak some of our favorite foods that many people consider regional. I admit, at first, I was taken by the pretty cover of this book, but it's way more special than that. I was amazed that it had some 550 recipes. I wouldn't consider ALL of the recipes to be "Yankee or regional", but there were at least 100 recipes at first glace that I thought would be worth trying at some point. I was especially thrilled with the soups, stews, seafood and dessert sections.

I liked the way that the chapters were divided. They cover the following: Breakfast Treats; Breads, Sweet Breads, Biscuits and Stuffings; Beverages; Soups, Stew and Chowders; Vegetables; Snacks, appetizers, dips and spreads; Poultry; Fish and Seafood; Beef, Lamb and Pork; Pasta, Rice, Grains and Legumes; Cakes, Cookies and Confections; Desserts; Pies as well as an appendix with measurements and conversions.

Not all of the recipes are new, but there seems to be just something different (a new ingredient or two added here and there), as opposed to the traditional way i had prepared certain recipes previously. Most of the recipes are definitely not low-calorie, but every once in a while we all like to try a few recipes without regard to the calories or fat content right?
Some of the recipes that jumped out at me immediately were:
  • Crunchy Corn Muffins
  • Maple Streussel Muffins
  • Chef Jack's New England Cake Donuts
  • Apple Cheese Bread
  • Peppermint Mocha Coffee
  • Yankee Seafood Bisque
  • Chicken Stew with Dumplings
  • Cauliflower Crab Chowder
  • Caesar Green Beans
  • Maple Glazed new Potaoes
  • Potato Pancakes (I miss my dad - he made the best ones) 
  • Spaghetti Squash with Avocado Pesto
  • Chicken Croquettes
  • Lobster Stuffed Flounder
  • Spicy Lobster Gumbo
  • Apricot Upside-down Gingerbread
  • Orange cappuccino Cheesecake
  • PB & J Bars
  • Coconut Cream Pie
There are beautiful colored glossy pictures to go along with the recipes, but the pictures are kind of small as is the print. I loved most of the recipes, as well as the scenes of New England. There is also a bit of New England history as well in this lovely father and son cookbook.

 I am planning on buying a copy for a bridal shower gift along with some cookware for a special New England bride-to-be. Don't get me wrong, I think this book will be a hit with anyone who enjoys seafood, comfort food and recipes that offer a bit more than your basic cookbook, yet most every ingredient you will need are ones you would find in most of our pantries and cabinets.
4.5/5 stars

7 comments:

  1. A lot of those recipes you listed look good to me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a good addition to any cookbook shelf!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are all fans of feel good food here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need this cookbook! Sounds perfect for me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds like it features some very tasty food! Great review, Diane. I would love to add this to my cookbook collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the idea of this cookbook. Now that my youngest is going away to college I've told myself that I would be more adventurous whether or not my husband likes what I make!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. All of you are very VERY kind and I do appreciate it. I have had tremendous luck since it came out so keep an eye out on television very soon. Thanks again and check out theyankeechef.com. Am very proud of my new website.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.