Thursday, June 13, 2013

The Other Typist; Suzanne Rindell

Title: The Other Typist
Author: Suzanne Rindell
Publication Year:  2013
Publisher: Penguin Audio
Edition: audio / eGalley
Reader: Gretchen Mol (very good)
Source: library and Net Galley
Setting:
Date Completed: June - 2013
Rating: 4.5/5


The Other Typist takes readers back to the "roaring 20s" and Prohibition, a time when speakeasies, often run by organized crime, were an opportunity for fast money. Illegal booze, gambling and fast women were big business. 

Rose Baker was not one of these "fast women". She was a police stenographer, a lady who takes pride in her job, by carefully recording the confessions of criminals each day. She thinks that she is a pretty good read of people. She grew up in an orphanage run by nuns, she's very quiet, plain looking, very naive, and has no social life to speak of, but deep down she longs for companionship.

Odalie Lazare is "the other typist" who works with Rose. Odalie is everything that Rose is not. She's outgoing, has beautiful clothes, is noticed by men everywhere and she knows where to go to have fun when she isn't working. Rose notices quickly that some of the stories Odalie has been telling do not seem to add up. Rose becomes more and more obsessed with finding out more about Odalie, especially after she gets a glimpse into Odalie's life after work hours.

I really enjoyed this terrific debut novel. The writing is vivid, scenes memorable and characters that will stick with you. Rose initially comes off as a somewhat sympathetic character, but there is more to Rose than meets the eye, but there is also more to Odalie. Readers who enjoy stories with unreliable narrators, or readers who would like to read more about the roaring 20s, should enjoy this story. I'll definitely be looking for more books by the promising new author.

16 comments:

  1. I like the era. Shades of Gatsby here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm kind of unreliable-narrator-ed out! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked this one and was left going "wtf?" at the end. Such a great debut novel!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another one that is waiting for me to pick it up. I got the galley for the Los Angeles event with the authors but then couldn't go to the event. I need to read the book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to be in the right mood for an unreliable narrator, lol. Glad this was a winner for you, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that time period so I'm looking forward to this book.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No those sound like two good reads. Thanks for the great reviews Diane.

    Wishing you a great day,
    Denise
    An English Girl Rambles

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love debut authors and had my eye on this book. Glad to know it was a good read for you. Will put it on my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh I just read about this one on Sandy's blog too. Sound so good! I'm going to have to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you enjoyed this one! The cover is nice.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep hearing good things about this debut novel! I will have to find time to read it myself. Thanks for the review!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    Big Book Summer Challenge

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm impatiently waiting my turn for this one at the library!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love stories set in the 1920s. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just finished this yesterday. I'm still not exactly sure what really happened, but really enjoyed it anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, I loved this review!!! I'm going to put this one on my wish list for audio!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This one looks fun.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.