Tuesday, October 22, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Kept; James Scott


Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?  I haven't begun this book yet, but I found the intro kind of intriguing......

    Harper - January 2014
CHAPTER 1 ---

"Elspeth Howell was a sinner.  The thought passed over her like a shadow as she washed he face or caught her reflection in a window or disembarked from a train after months away from home.  Whenever she saw a church or or her husband quoted verse or she touched the simple cross around her neck while she fetched her bags, her transgressions lay in the hollow of her chest, hard and heavy as stone.  The multitude of her sins--anger, covetousness, thievery--created a tension in her body, and all that could ease the pressure was movement, finding something to occupy her wicked hands and her tempted mind, and so she churned her legs against the snow that piled in drifts to her waist."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.

 

24 comments:

  1. Keep reading! This one looks terrific *adds it to TBR list...*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not sure. I'd have to read a little more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd need a few more pages... leaning toward yes though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like a good one, Diane. My selection this week also has a protagonist named Elspeth . . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. Not sure this is my kind of book unless it turns into a mystery...

    ReplyDelete
  6. I do want to know more...than I'll decide if it's for me. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am not familiar with The Kept at all, but the intro has caught my attention. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'd keep going....sounds good to me...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would keep reading to find out what she did or thought about that gave her such torment.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yes. I'd keep reading this one. I'm finally playing along again. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - this woman is in pain. I wonder what's causing it. I'd like to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think this sounds very interesting, I'd keep reading. Enjoy your book. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, I'd keep reading this to find out more about her!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful beginning, this woman's heaviness hits you right away with the words "sinner." And from what I can see these are her feelings about herself. She's a very sad lady. Would love to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. These are a fantastic and curious paragraphs and I'm really wondering what's going on. Is she really trying to walk through snow? And are her sins real transgressions or something she imagines she's done?

    I'm really looking forward to your review. I certainly would continue reading!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I must say that I love the cover of this one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.