Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Waiting on Wednesday; Left; Tamar Ossowski


Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill @ Breaking the Spine.  Bloggers spotlight upcoming releases that they are eagerly anticipating! Want to participate? Post your own WOW entry on your blog, and leave your link at Breaking the Spine.This week's pick is:


W.W. Norton/Skyhorse Publishing
October - 2013
A “haunting, sometimes harrowing” novel that examines the difficult decision a mother must make on behalf of her autistic child.

Therese Wolley is a mother who has made a promise. She works as a secretary, shops for groceries on Saturdays, and takes care of her two girls. She doesn’t dwell on the fact that her girls are fatherless, mostly because her own father abandoned her before she was born and she has done just fine without him.

Even though her older daughter regularly wakes with nightmares and her younger one whispers letters under her breath, she doesn’t shift from her resolve that everything will be fine. She promises . . . and they believe.

Until the morning an obituary in the newspaper changes everything. Therese immediately knows what she has to do. She cannot delay what she has planned, and she cannot find the words to explain her heartbreaking decision to her daughters. She considers her responsibilities, her girls, and her promise. Then she does the only thing that any real mother would do. She goes on the run with one daughter . . . and abandons the other. 

Left is told from the perspectives of Franny, the autistic sister who is left behind; Matilda, the troubled older sister who vows to go back and save her; and Therese, a mother on the run.

12 comments:

  1. Oh, what a heart-wrenching story this will be! Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

    Here's MY WOW POST

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is the first time I've heard of this book but my heart already goes to the characters. :( Thanks for sharing this, Diane!

    Chel @ The Procrastinator's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh...this one sounds good! Definitely have to add it to my TBR!
    Here's my WoW!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, I'm wondering what she's decided to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great pick. Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

    Happy Wednesday!

    http://www.itchingforbooks.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-69-snow-in-summer.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pick, Diane! That synopsis really got my attention and now I want to read this book when it's published.

    My WoW: http://www.bookclublibrarian.com/2013/10/waiting-on-wednesday-new-anita-shreve.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like it needs to go on my wishlist! It is a new title for me so thank you for your post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've read it and it's definitely worth it! Great characters, beautifully written--don't miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG! Thanks for posting about this book! I haven't seen it until now, but I know I have to read it!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one sounds good. I'll have to keep an eye out for it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for sharing you idea and experience through your blog posting.
    Travesti

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.