Tuesday, October 8, 2013

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The First Last Day; Carrie Brown

Every Tuesday I host First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros, where I share the first paragraph or (a few) of a book I am reading or thinking about reading soon. Care to join us?

Pantheon - Sept-2013

THE LAST DAY

" That morning, in anticipation of the party to be held at their house in the evening, Ruth unearthed the vacuum cleaner from the front hall closet.  She had to move aside a heap of belongings to reach it -- umbrellas and boots and musty-smelling coats--as well as Peter's old film projector, heavy as lead in its mossy green case, and half a dozen cartons containing reels of footage from their early days at Derry.  A brand-new teacher then, his enthusiasm like a light inside his face, Peter had recorded everything during those first years, endless hours of slow-moving football games, canoe races on windy spring afternoons with the boat shunting jerkily across the lake, the winter evening Robert Frost came to read his poems in the chapel.  Mr. Frost had been aloof that evening at dinner, attending vaguely to the conversational gambits offered by the school trustees who had been assembled for the occasion.  The meal had been splendid fare by the dining hall's usual standards, stuffed clams and lobster with melted butter, corn and boiled potatoes, blueberry pie.  The occasion had been a triumph for Peter, who had arranged it, and an honor for Derry, which then had no real standing among boys' schools of the day, its pupils drawn historically from poor families rather than the well-heeled aristocracy  of New England."
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What do you think? Would you keep reading? Feel free to join us by linking your First Chapter post below.

22 comments:

  1. I would keep reading. The title and first paragraph give hints of interesting things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This first paragraph holds lots of promise. I'd keep going. Definitely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I would continue. The academic setting appeals to me. The mention of Robert Frost is interesting as well.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds really good. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Keep reading! I am a sucker for books that are set in New England and also for books set in boarding schools (have been to New England but not boarding school!)... This one looks like it has both! Might have to add it to the TBR list - pending your review, of course!

    ReplyDelete
  6. yes, I'd keep reading. I'm wondering where Peter is.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! Wondering why she has that that stuff, why the vacuum was buried, and it's New England and a boarding school!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the first time I have been able to get on line as I am using my niece's wi-fi connection and after a week of merriment celebrating her wedding, we are finally slowing down. You always share the most interesting books Diane. Thank you so much and have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I might keep reading. This author sounds familiar to me and I realize I have Lamb in Love and Rose's Garden in my stacks. Have never read them, but something must've piqued my interest!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm amazed at all the detail put into that one paragraph by the author!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so interesting! And Robert Frost, one of my favorite poets, makes me even more intrigued. Yes, I would keep reading and thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the descriptions...I think that closet feels familiar...lol. And I adore Robert Frost. I want to keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I would definitely continue reading. This first paragraph hints at many interesting issues and themes to come. The setting is terrific, too as I for one cannot pass up a boarding school in New England with a character who was a teacher there. I also love Frost's poetry. I've not heard of this book before now, Diane, but I'm going to search it out. You always come up with some real gems. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have long been attracted to books that take place at a boarding school -- New England is a bonus. I loved Secret History, Tartt and The movie The Emperor's Children is a favorite of mine.

      Delete
  14. What Amy said! I agree, the intro is very inviting and a good set up for the novel.

    Besides, the author pretty much described my hall closet in the opening sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I like that beginning, I'd keep reading. enjoy your book. Kelley at the road goes ever ever on

    ReplyDelete
  16. I like that title and I would keep reading too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have not hard much about this book before, but the opening is compelling. This is such a terrific meme--I need to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'd get distracted by the stuff too, anything to avoid vacuuming. I would keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This book sounds so interesting-- I love getting insight into the lives of teachers and professors.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love a New England setting, but the writing is not grabbing me. I'd have to read another couple of pages before I'd make a decision to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.