Tuesday, July 9, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Searching for Sylvie Lee; Jean Kwok


On Tuesdays, Vicki, ( I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where  readers post the opening paragraph (or 2 ) of a book they are reading or that they plan to read. (Today's pick is a new release by an author I've enjoyed in the past)


William Morrow - 2019

Part 1

Chapter 1

Amy - Monday May 2

"I'm standing by the window of our small apartment in Queens, watching Ma and Pa leave for their jobs.  Half hidden by the worn curtains Ma sewed herself, I see them walk side by side to the subway station down the street.  At the entrance, they pause and look at each other for a moment. Here, I always hold my breath, waiting for Pa to touch Ma's cheek, or for Ma to burst into tears, or for either of them to give some small sign of the truth of their relationship.  Instead, Ma raises her hand in an awkward wave, the drape of her black shawl exposing her slender forearm, and Pa shuffles into the open mouth of the station as the morning traffic roars down our busy street.  Then Ma ducks her head and continues her walk to the local dry cleaners where she works."

What do you think? Pass or read more?  

23 comments:

  1. If I'd enjoyed the author previously, I would certainly continue reading. Of course, I'd also want to know more about Sylvie Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I start something I generally want to finish

    Lainy http://www.alwaysreading.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was always like that but, the older I get the easier it is for me to have a DNF.

      Delete
  3. I like the writing style, and the opening left me with lots of questions, so I'd definitely keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. I'm glad it appealed to you as the intro hooked me as well.

      Delete
  5. I do like the sound of this peek into a relationship, and now I'm very curious. Thanks for sharing, and here's mine: “DEAR WIFE”


    ReplyDelete
  6. I would keep reading to see how the relationship goes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it a lot so far but, only read a few chapters so far.

      Delete
  7. I haven't heard of this author or this book but I'm curious about the relationship between the parents and just who is Sylvie Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like a good story!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This book is sitting in my reading pile. I hope you enjoy it--and that it lives up to all the buzz.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could read a bit more at least. See what book Susan is featuring at Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks so much for featuring Searching for Sylvie Lee here! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are welcome; I'm enjoying it very much thus far.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.