Sunday, September 15, 2019

Drawing Home; Jamie Brenner


AUTHOR:  Jamie Brenner
PUBLISHER: Little Brown & Co.
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: The Hamptons, NY
FORMAT:  ARC
RATING - 4/5

Henry Wyatt was something of a fixture at the iconic American Hotel in Sag Harbor. As an artist, he preferred the slower pace, familiar friends and quiet times to the times he spent in New York City.  So when Henry dies suddenly on Memorial Day weekend, everyone who knew him is shocked and saddened.

Even more shocked is his former Manhattan business partner Bea, and Emma, the American Hotel's front desk manager. It seems for some reason Henry chose to leave his elaborate waterfront home and estate to Emma's teenaged daughter Penny Mapson to whom he had given informal drawing lessons while he spent time at the hotel. Why would Henry make such an unusual bequeath? Bea is furious and determined to get to the bottom of this.

Part mystery, Drawing Home, was an unexpected treat. I loved the charming setting of this idyllic island town and it's small town life. I thought the characters were well drawn as well, but, at times there was a bit too much unnecessay detail. The added mystery element added to the overall charm of this one.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I'll see if my library has it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Diane, I'm glad that you enjoyed this book, overall. Happy reading in the week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I usually enjoy a Sag Harbor setting myself. Happy last Monday of summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of this one! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The idea of someone who dies leaving things to unexpected people is always an intriguing premise.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.