Tuesday, September 3, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - On Earth We're Briefly Gorgeous; Ocean Vuong


Each Tuesday, Vicki, from I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where readers post the opening paragraph(s) of a book that they are reading or plan to read.

Penguin Audio - 2019

1

Let me begin again,

Dear Ma,

I'm writing to reach you--even if each word I put down is one word further from where you are. I am writing to go back to the time, at the rest stop in Virginia, when you stared, horrorstruck, at the taxidermy buck hung over the soda machine by the restrooms, its antlers shadowing your face.  In the car, you kept shaking your head. "I don't understand why they would do that. Can't they see it's a corpse? A corpse should go away, not get stuck forever like that."

What do you think, pass or read more? (I actually started this audio about a week ago and also have the eGalley. The writing is beautiful, poetic really, but it's also a very depressing story overall, so I'm taking it slow - almost done.

8 comments:

  1. Ooh I would definitely read on! It's got this dark atmosphere in this short paragraph, I want to know what is going to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, the excerpts shook me up a bit. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel reluctant to read this despite all the glowing reviews. I will wait for yours.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just the tile intrigues me, and I'd definitely feel the need for a box of tissues with this one!

    Here is my Tuesday Teaser post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like it would be bittersweet. I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I keep hearing about this book and its beautiful writing. The opening was certainly intriguing!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd read more and see how I liked it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.