Tuesday, June 2, 2020

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Girls of Summer; Nancy Thayer


Welcome to
 First Chapter/Intros, now hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book Reviews. Each week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book they are reading or that they plan to read soon.


Girls of Summer; Nancy Thayer
Ballantine - 2020

One

"Remember, Lisa's mother had often said, it's good to know where you want to be, but sometimes you have to go in the opposite direction to get there.  Lisa knew her mother was right because her mother was, as was her father, a high school teacher full of knowledge and experience.  She also knew that when they had married, her mother had wanted to have five children and her father wanted to be a novelist.  Instead, they taught in the Nantucket high school and had only one child, the fortunate Lisa, but they said they were extremely happy throughout their lives.  So maybe they didn't get where they intended to go, but they ended up where they were meant to be."

I've been in the mood for a few light, fun reads this summer. What do you think for this intro - read more or pass?

15 comments:

  1. I love Thayer's books and haven't read this one. Off to check it out! Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that's a wise beginning. "It's good to know where you want to be, but sometimes you have to go in the opposite direction to get there." I like that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Read more. Sounds good.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got this on the stacks and definitely need lighter reads about now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would read on as it sounds interesting. I too have been in the mood for lighter books recently. Mixture of reasons I supect, too much awfulness in the world at the moment, it's 'summer', looking for something different to dead bodies. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd pass on that one, but the intro is well written.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It should give the reader some light fun! But maybe has a secret or two to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I read her summer releases every year. This one is on request from the library. Yes keep going! Can't wait to read your review.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think I could benefit from reading some lighter novels this summer. This sounds appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this one sounds good, Diane, and it's been quite a while since I read anything by this author. Enjoy, enjoy! Hope your knee is better...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would definitely read this one. Like you, I've been wanting lighter, summer type reads. This sounds perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice first paragraph, one that would keep me reading, especially since I've had pretty good luck with Thayer's books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Diane, I'd like to read this one. Something summery sounds good. And if it's Nantucket, that's perfect for me.
    I just finished Something in the Water. That one did have me roaring through the pages! But, you know, I thought she was unbelievably stupid in places, yet despite that, stupid me was not prepared or expecting Mark her husband to turn out the way he did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think that is a very good opening paragraph. It gets you to think too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.