Tuesday, July 7, 2020

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Father Melancholy's Daughter; Gail Godwin




Welcome to First Chapter/Intros, now hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book Reviews. Each week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book they are reading or that they plan to read soon.

William Morrow - 1971

Sept 13: Cyprian, Bishop and Martyr of Carthage, 258
--The Calendar of the Church Year

1 - MORNING

"Although I did not know it then, my life of unpremeditated childhood ended on Wednesday, September 13, 1972.  The weather that day in Romulus, Virginia was warm and sunny; the sky an unclouded Shenandoah blue.  I had been in first grade for three weeks.  The schoolwork I found easy, insultingly so.  It was the social side of things, the winning over of other children that was going to demand my subtler energies. I was, and was destined to remain, an only child, and was more practiced in the management of adults."

I've had this 1971, first edition on my shelf for many years and recall purchasing it used more than 10 years ago because it sounded good and I've enjoyed other books by this author. Finally, when looking for my next book, this one spoke to me. I like the first person narrator, a child already.

Read more of pass?

19 comments:

  1. A blast from the past... I read this ages ago! Don't remember a thing about it other than the unusual title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have loved books by this author, and now I am adding this one to my list! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not read this one, but this does sound like a book I'd like to read - different! I've been to Carthage, to see the ruins in Tunisia. Had an amazing time. Love the dragon cover.

    Here's my Tuesday post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd give this one a go because I love the author and am intrigued by the title. Hope you're enjoying it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I'd need to read more to know if I'd want to continue. Sounds like it has potential.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You've had this one a long time. Hope you enjoy it. Doesn't really speak to me right now. Who knows what might appeal in the future though? LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd read more to find out what happened to the protagonist back in '72!
    I hope you enjoy reading this book, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  8. More. "...an only child, and was more practiced in the management of adults." That last line got me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was one of those little kids that spent more time with adults than kids so I totally understood that line.

      Delete
  9. I'm a Gail Godwin fan and I have a first edition of this one on my shelves, too (I think it's 1991, not '71). I know I read it, but that was 20 years ago and I remember little about the details. That it's still on my shelves tells me, though, that I enjoyed it enough to make it "permanent."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are correct Sam 1991. I'm not sure if it was a typo or my senior eyes )maybe both) LOL

      Delete
  10. I like the cover and the intro is interesting - I can relate to the schoolwork being easy but the maing of friends being hard.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The intro speaks of good things or rather intriguing things to come.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have meant to read Gail Godwin but have not started yet. I would go on.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.