Tuesday, August 11, 2020

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Caretakers; Eliza Maxwell


Welcome to
 First Chapter/Intros, now hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book Reviews. Each week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book they are reading or that they plan to read soon.

The Caretakers; Eliza Maxwell
Lake Union Publishing - 2020

Prologue

"The screams have long since died away.  The bloodstains, like the memories, have faded brown with time, obscured beneath a fine layer of dust.  Mildew creeps along the the peeling floral wallpaper. The window frames are soft with rot.

A skylight of colored glass softly illuminates the slow and steady decay.

Once, laughter filled the spaces between the tired walls.  Running feet and mother's hugs and whispers under covers at night.  Hearts beat, as hearts do, then broke, then beat again. Until they didn't"

What do you think - read more or pass?

I started this one yesterday and liked the writing so far (first 50 pages thus far).

9 comments:

  1. Wow, the descriptions reeled me in...and I love that cover, too. Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe. That first sentence got me but the rest kind of lost me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds quite suspenseful! I haven't read too many thrillers this year, but this is appealing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very descriptive. I love that intro and the cover. I would want to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the cover. The first lines kind of freak me out and the last lines seems somewhat at odds with them. Definitely a book I'd take a closer look at.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would probably pass because none of that strikes me as being particularly original.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm intrigued. Sounded like it was a place of happiness until one day it wasn't anymore so what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love creepy/suspenseful books centered around old, secret-filled houses, so I would DEFINITELY keep reading! I also love the cover. I hadn't heard of this one before, but I'm going to add it to my TBR list. Thanks for the heads-up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, I think this beginning sounds like a good one. I love Gothic-style books. Will keep this one in mind and check to see if my library has it or will be getting it. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.