Saturday, January 16, 2021

Book Review - Monogamy; Sue Miller

 


TITLE/AUTHOR:
Monogamy; Sue Miller

PUBLISHER: Harper Audio

YEAR PUBLISHED: 2020

GENRE: Fiction 

FORMAT:  PP/LENGTH: 352 pp. / 10+ hours

SOURCE:  Library Audio

SETTING(s): Massachusetts (VT - briefly)


ONE SENTENCE SUMMARY: Even seemingly good marriages are complicated. 


BRIEF REVIEW:  Graham and Annie McFarlane, the central characters of this novel, have been married for 30 years. Graham co-owns a bookstore in Cambridge, MA near Harvard, and, Annie's passion is photography.

Graham is a big burly guy and full of life. He is the kind of guy people are drawn to and, he is also a guy who craves that attention. Graham has a son Lucas from his first marriage to Frieda.  Although the marriage ended, the two have always remained close.  Annie is a petite, more reserved woman who at times appears aloof but, despite their personality differences their marriage is fun and full of passion.  The couple have a daughter Sarah who lives in CA. 

When Graham passes away one night unexpectedly, Annie is left empty and does not know how she will carry on.  It is only at his funeral that she's found a reason to reexamine her marriage and made to wonder whether she really ever knew and understood her late husband.

Monogamy, is a beautiful story of a marriage with all its imperfections.  The writing is wonderful as we learn all of the backstories of the characters and see the positive attributes of each as well as their flaws.  The characters are so deeply explored, at times they felt like friends; I'll remember them for a long while. I loved the way the author dug deep, she made me feel like I knew what each was thinking. Even the minor characters were fully fleshed.  This was perfect pandemic reading with an intimate feel.  The audio book was read by the author who did a wonderful job!  I think this is a book that will definitely have a greater appeal to those who are married or who have been married.


RATING: 5 stars


MEMORABLE QUOTES: " Love isn't just what two people have together, it's what two people make together, so of course, it's never the same."

26 comments:

  1. I like the stories where the characters seem like friends!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, nothing better than when you feel like you are part of the conversations.

      Delete
  2. Wow, 5 stars! What a wonderful feeling to read a book that we love so much. This one sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to buy this book, the theme of examining marriage appeals to me and the way you describe it. I was in a happy marriage for 45 years until my hubby died 4 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Terra, that has got to be difficult. Ithink you will enjoy this one.

      Delete
  4. I'm glad you liked this one a lot. I listened to it on audio last year .... and liked it all right but it sounds like you liked it even more. I wish Graham had lived ha ... I liked his character a bit & the first part of the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also loved Graham, but, then many of us are attracted to full of life personalities or, someone different from ourselves.

      Delete
  5. Based on your review, I'm planning to listen to the audio. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds excellent! I've just added it to my wishlist so I don't forget about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Going on my TBR list. Thanks, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It has been a while since I read Sue Miller. I have liked the ones I have read. This sounds good too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've read most of her books, I think, but, this one kinds spoke to me at time which was a bonus.

      Delete
  9. I started reading in print a few months ago, but that was when I was having trouble focusing on much of anything. Think I could safely pick up the audio now. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I find timing is everything. The audio just worked for me - kinda spoke to me at times.

      Delete
  10. I have this in print and am really looking forward to reading it, especially after seeing your 5-star rating! I'll bet the audio is good, too, but this seems like the sort of book I will want to have in hand in order to highlight favorite passages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be a good combo read/listen choice if you can download the audio from the library as well.

      Delete
  11. Another possibility for book club (my turn for offering choices is coming up).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sounds like a great book. I'm sure this book will evoke many emotions, too, given the topic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Melody, it's a topic that will get different reactions from different readers and ages.

      Delete
  13. You know how I love me some flawed characters. Definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review, it makes me want to read it, thanks Diane :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.