Tuesday, April 20, 2021

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Absolutist; John Boyne

 


Welcome to First Chapter/Intros, now hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book ReviewsEach week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book they are reading or that they plan to read. 

The Absolutist; John Boyne - Other Press 

Tombland

Norwich, 15-16 September 1919

SEATED OPPOSITE ME in the railway carriage, the elderly lady in the fox-fur shawl was recalling some of the murders that she committed over the years.

"There was the vicar in Leeds," as she said, smiling a little as she tapped her lower lip with her index finger. "And the spinster from Hartlepool whose tragic secret was to prove her undoing.  The actress from London, of course, who took up with her sister's husband just after his return from Crimea. She was a flighty piece so no one would blame me for that.  But the maid-of-all-work in Connaught Square, I rater regretted killing her.  She was a hard-working girl of good Northerner stock, who perhaps didn't deserve such a brutal ending."

"That was one of my favourites, I replied. "If you ask me, she got what was coming to her. She read letters that were not hers to read."

What do you think, read more or pass?   I've read a few books by this author and just loved them,  This one has been on my TBR list for a bit - I love the intros and can't wait to read on.

27 comments:

  1. It's on my wish list and if available on audio, all the better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to starting this one some time this week - print and eBook but, I bet the audio might be great too.

      Delete
  2. Fascinating! Now I definitely want to read more.

    I like your new blog header!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel, it was time for a change. I thought that intro was great...I definitely want to know more about this elderly woman.

      Delete
  3. I would keep reading...this is an author I have long wanted to sample.

    Beautiful new header!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine, I've wanted to change my header for a while but was nervous as BLOGGER is so temperamental.

      Delete
  4. I want to read his other novel, so if you read this one, I might get a better idea of whether or not it's worth it. Keep going!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That does sound like a good one, we'd read more too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elderly lady + some of the murders she had committed = I'm hooked!!
    Mine is also on a fierce woman!: https://francebooktours.com/2021/04/20/victorine-first-chapter-first-paragraph/

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds like a fun one! I recognize the author's name, but don't know if I've read him or not. I'll have to check my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah! I have read his books and enjoyed them quite well. So glad to know he has a new one out! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized that when I went to add it to my Goodreads' list! :)

      Delete
  9. Wow talking about murders! I'd keep reading. :)

    This cracked me up. "She was a flighty piece so no one would blame me for that"

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great opening! I would definitely read this one. It's a new-to-me author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've read two books by this author and I loved both of them. Definitely read on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think this will be my 3rd or 4th. Boy With the striped Pajamas was my first.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.