Sunday, August 21, 2016

(2) Books that Wowed Me and a few New Books

 Just finished (2) amazing books that I highly recommend. I hope to work on reviews this week but, for now here is a bit of info from the overview of the Amazon website.

Homegoing; Yaa Gyasi - (Knopf)  2016
(Overview) The unforgettable New York Times best seller begins with the story of two half-sisters, separated by forces beyond their control: one sold into slavery, the other married to a British slaver. Written with tremendous sweep and power, Homegoing traces the generations of family who follow, as their destinies lead them through two continents and three hundred years of history, each life indelibly drawn, as the legacy of slavery is fully revealed in light of the present day.

  • Beautiful writing; memorable story;  debut author 


(Thomas Dunne Books) 2016

(Overview) A beautiful and provocative love story between two unlikely people and the hard-won relationship that elevates them above the Midwestern meth lab backdrop of their lives.
As the daughter of a drug dealer, Wavy knows not to trust people, not even her own parents. It's safer to keep her mouth shut and stay out of sight. Struggling to raise her little brother, Donal, eight-year-old Wavy is the only responsible adult around. Obsessed with the constellations, she finds peace in the starry night sky above the fields behind her house, until one night her star gazing causes an accident. After witnessing his motorcycle wreck, she forms an unusual friendship with one of her father's thugs, Kellen, a tattooed ex-con with a heart of gold.
  • Heart-breaking coming of age story; uncomfortable to read at times but addictive; debut author
NEW BOOKS


25 comments:

  1. The WOW-Factors sound pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've requested the All at Sea book from Netgalley. Hope I get this one. The Gyasi book sounds wonderful too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read any of those, adding some to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've heard great things about both of these books and hope to try Ugly and Wonderful Things, but not sure if I'll have the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I started Homecoming last week and while I wasn't hating it, my reading is just not happening lately. I am looking forward to getting back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I heard the author of Homecoming on NPR this week. Sounds fascinating. The other one does sound sad. Thanks for sharing about both of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SHe's been on several of the late night shows and the interviews were impressive. She seems very down to earth.

      Delete
  7. I forgot to mention I reviewed Small Great Things and it is fabulous! https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/1669267323

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your goodreads review and am looking forward to this.

      Delete
  8. Oh, I'm dying to read Homegoing - it's sounds So good! I hadn't heard of your other one, but it sounds intriguing also.

    Great reading for you! Thanks for sharing -

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've reconfirmed that I need to get a copy of Homegoing--I just love the premise.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Homegoing is high on my list of books to read! So great to hear it was a a wonderful read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're on a roll with good books!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.