Sunday, September 18, 2016

Notorious RBG: The Life & Times of Ruth Bader Ginsburg; Irin Carmon & Shana Knizunik

Irin Carmon & Shana Knizunik
Dey Street Books - 2015

Consider me a new RBG groupie and, if I were the type to get a tattoo, it would be one of Ruth Bader Ginsburg. My appreciation for this woman was never fully realized until first listening to this book and then rushing out to buy the hardcover which has lots of photos and illustrations, a virtual scrapbook of her life.

Notorious RBG chronicles the personal and professional life of RBG, a woman who was appointed Supreme Court judge by President Clinton.  A woman who from an early age saw injustice in this world and wanted to do what she could to fix this.  This book gives you a good feel for who she is and what she stands for. Her personal life and her intense love for Marty Ginsburg (deceased 2010) made me teary-eyed.  This book is a beautiful tribute to a woman who for 50+ years has worked tirelessly to advance women and see ALL people as equal with equal rights.

A FEW QUOTES

  • "Real change, enduring change, happens one step at a time."
  • "When the jabot with scalloped glass beads glitters flat against the top of RBG's black robe, it's bad news for liberals. That's her dissent collar"
  • "When RBG was asked how she managed to have such an extraordinary marriage, she often answered by saying that Marty himself was extraordinary, and he saw the same in her."
  • "She imagined a world where men transformed themselves alongside women and where sexual and reproductive freedom was grounded in women's equality and then she worked to make it real."


How To Be Like RBG

  • Work for What You Believe In
  • But, Pick Your Battles
  • And, Don't Burn Your Bridges
  • Don't Be Afraid to Take Charge
  • Think About What You Want, Then Do the Work
  • But Enjoy What Makes You Happy
  • Bring Along Your Crew
  • Have a Sense of Humor
And, in case you just can't get enough of RBG there is this amazing coloring book by Tom O'Leary that I feel in love with as well.



5/5 stars
(library audio & hardcover)

18 comments:

  1. This book turned me into an RBG groupie, too. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's some tribute with a coloring book!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for a wonderful review. I have no idea who this woman was but I will be certainly trying to find something to read on her. You've got me tracking reading on her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has been of the US Supreme Court Justices since 1993. She really
      made a name for herself when she represented the Women’s Rights Project of the American Civil Liberties Union in several landmark cases before the court on issues including gender discrimination, equal protection and due process.

      Delete
  4. I keep seeing this book and
    Just might have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you take a look at this one. It's informative and entertaining.

      Delete
  5. I've always known she was an awesome supporter of the people and the laws of our country, but when you get a coloring book about you-- well, she's been elevated even further, lol.

    Seriously, I recommended this book to my son who is interested in the Supreme Court. He had a luncheon on his campus with Sonia Sotomayor & a group of law students, and a photo of the group of them hangs over his desk :) She wrote a very interesting book about growing up poor and Latina in NYC, then becoming a Supreme Court justice. Maybe you would like this book too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up on the Sonia S book; I would definitely be interested.

      Delete
  6. I can't wait to read this book! I picked it up in print from the library a few weeks back but I barely had any time to read then. Then it came on Kindle Daily deal so now I have no excuses! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I missed the kindle deal. I hope for your sake the illustrations are good, sometimes that is an issue with Kindle or eBooks.

      Delete
  7. I've been wanting to read this. Maybe I'll become a groupie too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I loved this book too and all the positive things RBG stands for. Reading the book gave back some of the confidence and hope I have in what good people can and have done for the people of our country. Its so easy to get down, especially in this election cycle. So yes, I'm a fan too. I don't think I'll get a tattoo, but I'd proudly wear the T-shirt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Margot, your comment warmed my heart...ditto to all and yes, I'd opt for the tee shirt before the tattoo:)

      Delete
  9. I think I might have to pick this up. I'd love to learn more about her, and that cover is the best <3

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I must get my hands on this one!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.