Friday, January 16, 2009

10 - The Wednesday Wars; Gary D. Schmidt














I felt like I needed a lighter read, so I chose the audio version of The Wednesday Wars after hearing some good feedback on the 2007 Newberry Honor book.
The year is 1967 and the Vietnam War is in the news. Lyndon Johnson is President and Holling Hoodhood is in the seventh grade, learning about Shakespeare.

Holling Hoodhood is the only Presbyterian in his grade, so he has to stay in the classroom with his teacher Mrs. Baker on Wednesday afternoons while his classmates attend Hebrew school or Catechism classes. Holling is pretty sure Mrs. Baker hates his guts, but as he begins to spend more time with her, he begins to see that teachers are not all that bad. How many teachers arrange for you to meet the New York Yankees, and also helps to save your dad's architectural firm?

This story had a lot of laugh out loud moments. Holling's relationships with his classmates and his older sister were great. I was disappointed in his parents, who just seemed oblivious when it came to parenting skills. But Mrs. Baker comes through with a powerful message: "Learn everything you can--- everything. And then use all that you have learned to be a wise and good man." RECOMMENDED

RATING - 4.5/5 Stars - COMPLETED - 01/16/09
WHERE FROM: Library

1 comment:

  1. Great review. I had heard this book was good but didn't know what it was about. It's on my TBR list, so someday I'll get to it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.