Thursday, February 12, 2009

26 - Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating; Mark Bittman

Mark Bittman is author of : How to Cook Everything and How to Cook Everything Vegetarian. His latest book: Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes, outlines a plan for responsible eating that's good for you and for the planet.
I thought this book was pretty interesting. Although a lot of the information was not new to me, I found it interesting the way Mark Bittman tries to demonstrate that by being more aware of the foods we are buying and eating is not only better for us, but better for the environment as well.
The typical American diet, has way too much meat, refined carbohydrates, and junk food, leading to both health problems such as : heart disease, obesity, diabetes. As a solution, the author argues for changing the way we eat and buy food. Specifically, he wants us to eat less meat and junk food and more vegetables and whole grains.
America's high meat consumption, in terms of the energy required to raise livestock and ship meat all over the country, contributes to global warming. For example, in terms of energy consumption, serving a typical family of four steak dinner is the rough equivalent of driving around in an SUV for three hours while leaving all the lights on at home.
Simple put, by making some of the diet changes outlined in the book, such as eating more fruits, veggies and whole grains, we will not only shrink our waistline, but also help the environment as well. The author mentioned that when he made these changes to his diet (reducing his meat intake by 70%), he also lost 35 lbs.
The book included about 75 recipes, many of which looked great. In addition there were sample menus and tips for stocking your kitchen with new healthy foods.
If you are looking for a good book on healthy eating, give Food Matters: A Guide to Conscious Eating with More Than 75 Recipes a try.
RATING - 4/5 - COMPLETED - 2/11/09
WHERE FROM: Library


4 comments:

  1. for me but really good information nonetheless. Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good. It's such a shame that I love refined carbs and junk food.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a great read! I would love to read it some day.. I follow many of this suggestions on a daily basis like eating fruits and whole grains. I am a vegetarian, so i don't need to worry meat consumption. But, eating veggies is a big challenge for me. I need to work on that ..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm now on my library's waiting list for this one! I'm a vegetarian, and for the first three months of 2009 I decided to try out veganism, so this is right up my alley. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.