Thursday, March 11, 2010

37 - Winter Study; Nevada Barr




















Winter Study; Nevada Barr

Nevada Barr is a new to me author who I have wanted to read for a long while. I own several of her books, but have not read any until now.  For those of you who are not familiar with her books, the Anna Pigeon series is about a National Park Services Ranger/ sleuth of sorts (Anna Pigeon).  All of the author's mysteries are based at least in part on her personal experience. Barr worked as a park ranger at several national parks, and so she is familiar with the various locales where her stories take place. This book is #14 in a series, but I was told it was not necessary to read them in order.

Anna Pigeon is forty-something,  newly married and madly in love with her husband.  It is obvious she misses him when she is called away on assignment. She is also funny, sharp, and independent. In this particular mystery Anna is sent to The Isle of Royale on the northern shore of Lake Superior. It is the dead of winter and her assignment is to study the interaction of gray wolves with moose.  This has been a 50 year project that may soon face extinction if Homeland Security gets their way.  Homeland Security is exploring the possibility of keeping the park open and guarded year round, in an effort to control the illegal alien situation at the Canadian border. 

Anna gets to camp out in a cramped cabin with several research scientists, and Homeland Security official. Frigid weather, blizzards, dangerous ice, and wolf calls near by are just some of the things the project participants must contend with.  Strange things begin to occur on their very first night there. Before long one of the researchers is found mauled to death, and strange footprints are found at the scene. Foul play is suspected, but when Anna herself has a few too many close calls, it becomes clear something very dark is going on.

MY THOUGHTS - This was my first Nevada Barr book, and I enjoyed it a lot. The reader Barbara Rosenblat is always a pleasure to listen to. The story is tension filled, and parts made me shiver a bit. It was probably not the best story to be listened to before bedtime :)  The tracking information gathered as part of the study was really interesting.  The author did a terrific job depicting the beautiful, natural surroundings of the area, and of setting the mood. If you enjoy mysteries with a likable heroine who certainly has her act together, I would recommend trying one of her mysteries.  I did not feel the least bit lost by starting my experience with this author at book #14.  Mystery fans -- this book is recommended (4/5 stars)
(Library Audio Book)

19 comments:

  1. I've never read anything by Nevada Barr either although this book certainly sounds good. What a beautiful cover as well. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like a great series! I love it when you can read them out of order and still enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of this series although I haven't read that many of them. My sister introduced me to these books after she spent a summer working in a national park in Carlsbad, New Mexico, as Anna did in Track of the Cat. I haven't read this one yet, so I'm glad to hear it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have also not read anything by this author, though your review makes me want to give her a try! It sounds like a very interesting book, so I will have to look out for it. Thanks for the great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Nevada Barr! I enjoy mysteries, but I really LOVE the outdoors and National Parks - we spend all of our vacations visiting NPs - so I find her books so fascinating. This is her second (at least?) about Isle Royale - I read a different one. I would love to visit there.

    Hope you enjoy more of Nevada Barr's NP mysteries!

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Nevada Barr's books - and I've been trying really hard to read them in order - so, I am glad to know that I can just pick this up and read it and not be lost...

    I really like her writing...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I going to jump on the never read Nevada Barr bandwagon. I think I'll have to try one of her books! Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never read this author either. When I was 14 I wanted to be a forest ranger! Combine that with my love of cozy mysteries, I think I would really like this book. Good job on your review! Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have this book sitting on my wish list. I enjoy Barr's books. I've read a number of them (although which ones, I'm not sure. I snagged them from my dad and then returned them). I think they are great for mystery readers and people who love the outdoors and national parks will enjoy them even more.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anna sounds like a character that I would totally get into!! I read that you don't have to read them in order but staying true to my ocd self I'll be checking out the first one!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hadn't heard of Nevada Barr before (great name!). It sounds as if you enjoyed this one a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nevada Barr is one of my favorites. I really wanted to visit the island Isle St. Royale after reading Winter Study, even though I'd be wary of the wolves!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nevada Barr is a new-to-me author too, err, when I finally read her. I have been interested by a lot of her books, so I'm hoping that some time I will read her. There's another one of hers, 13 1/2. I've heard good reviews of that too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I read one of her books years ago. I had the pleasure of meeting her in a cozy book store in Montana. Barr is from a the very small town of Yerrington NV. My cousin lives there and wow are they proud of their hometown girl! I enjoy her work. If I had read her when I was young I may have become a Forrest ranger. As it is I work for the forestry department of Nevada, but do not have any adventures LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have not read this one, but I have read several others in the series and they are all a good read.
    Anna Pigeon is an appealing character.

    ReplyDelete
  16. My mom loves Nevada Barr and has passed quite a few on to me. I didn't love the only one I read but I'm going to have to give her another try.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Brilliant! Thanks for the tip off. I'll be looking to read one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I really like Nevada Barr -- I've read most of the books in this series. Winter Study, for some inexplicable reason, has been sitting on my self unread for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's good to know that one does not have to read the series in its order. This one sounds good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.