Saturday, May 8, 2010

60 - Fast, Fresh and Green; Susie Middleton





















Fast, Fresh and Green; Susie Middleton


"Eat More Vegetables", is something we've heard over and over again. We know it's good for us, but sometimes the same old vegetables, fresh or not, just gets to be a bit boring, in my opinion.  For me,  thanks to this cookbook,  that is about to change.

In part (1) of this new cookbook,  readers are given the tools needed to begin preparing some wonderful sounding veggie recipes.  You are told which essentials you should have in your cabinets: (25) different condiments, various sugars and dried fruits, spices, nuts and seeds etc.  Also, included in this section besides shopping preparations, is storing and cooking suggestions for all sorts of veggies.

In part (2) the actual cooking of the featured recipes begins. This includes tips for : quick roasting; braising; sauteing; stir frying and grilling vegetables. The dishes that are roasted also include cooking temps/times.

The cookbook is 219 pages, has great colored photos (by Ben Fink), and more than 90 veggies recipes.  Some of the recipes that looked especially appealing to me and that I plan to try are:
  • Roasted Broccoli Florets with (2) dipping sauces (garlic butter) and a (Japanese sauce)
  • Sauteed Carrots with warm olive and mint dressing
  • Sauteed Asparagus with pancetta and parmigiano for two
  • Brown sugar summer squash linguine
  • Dark and crispy pan fried red potatoes
  • Mini Gratin potatoes
If you love veggies, or need some ideas for creating some variety into mealtime side dishes, then give this book a try. The one thing I was a bit disappointed in was the fact that there were quite a few cheesy "gratin" dishes, as well as some others dishes which will pack on the calories, for those of us watching our caloric intake.  It is still a great book, but just keep that in mind.  The author is has been the editor of Fine Cooking magazine.
RECOMMENDED - 4/5 stars
(review copy)

9 comments:

  1. I really want this book! As a farmer's market lover it would be right up my alley. It sounds so well-organized and the recipes you listed sound delicious. Thanks for this good review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do love veggies - that cookbook sounds fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I admit I didn't notice how many recipes were cheesy. But as someone who does not eat ANY cheese, really, I think that will be noticed by me very quickly! For Mother's Day, I'm planning on making the zucchini and tomato gratin. Usually, I just leave the cheese out of such recipes and they taste fine :-) Well, fine to me, as a cheese-hater.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love veggies and this cover is great too. I try to always serve a veggie with every meal, even breakfast. Sometimes I can get it past the kids even. Not often but sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love gratin dishes! But they do pack on the pounds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. When you make some of these pleas post photos...I love veggies!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do need to eat more veggies ... but I am at a loss on how to prepare them. Thanks for the heads-up on this book. I'm going to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad that you liked this one, and have been hearing good things about it. I love the veggies, but I get bored quickly, so this book looks like a godsend to me. I particularly like the broccoli with dipping sauces idea! Great review. This is definitely a book I will be looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I need to eat more veggies too and this may be the only time in my life where packing on a few pounds is okay so even the gratin dishes would be good :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.