Friday, July 16, 2010

91 - Love is the Best Medicine; Dr. Nick Trout














Love Is the Best Medicine; Dr. Nick Trout

Dr. Nick Trout a surgeon at Angell Animal Medical Center, located just outside of Boston, Massachusetts. The animal hospital is a first rate facility with the most modern equipment to be found. In this story Dr. Trout shares with his readers some fascinating insight into the world of animals. In a touching story about two dogs who changed the way he now thinks about life, death, fate and love.

The two special dogs who helped transform Dr. Trout were, Helen an older cocker spaniel found neglected and abandoned outside, in a restaurant parking lot one rainy night.  Helen was found by Ben and Eileen, who fell in love with this pitiful creature with mange and in bad need of some TLC.  When they decided to take her in and give her a chance at a good life, they soon found out some bad new when a tumor was discovered.

The other dog was a fourteen month old mini pinscher named Cleo who kept breaking one leg after another.  Cleo's fairly routine surgery results in anything but routine.  What happens links the two families, their dogs and Dr. Trout. Each learns important lessons about life, death and love.

The story is alternating chapters about each of the dogs and their owners. I LOVE all animals, but own cats.  Even if you are not a dog owner,  Love is the Best Medicine  is one of those books that should appeal to anyone who has ever loved and lost a pet. If you understand the amazing power and effect animals can have on our lives, I think that you will enjoy this book.  I did have a little problem with the flow of the story, but I still enjoyed this sometimes sad, but also uplifting story. Isn't this the cutest cover ever?

RATING - 3.5 stars - Library Book

19 comments:

  1. I've seen this one in the bookstores and have been curious about it. Not sure if 3.5 stars warrants my running out to get it though. Thanks for your thoughts :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I checked this one out and ran out of time (story of my life) and now you've made me want to get it again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very sweet looking book. Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Diane, thanks for stopping by my blog! It looks like you have a lot of interesting reads on yours - a great source of inspiration for me!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute is not descriptive enough

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE stories about dogs - but not sure I can handle the death of a pet issue right now.

    I will definitely keep the book on the TBR list and I know I will read one day.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love true animal stories, so I'll have to consider this one when I make it through those that are already on my shelves.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love dogs books, I just finished One Good Dog by Susan Wilson, it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think this would make me cry!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Diane-have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. THERE you are!! I've been trying to find that great book blog and finally I've got you! Thanks for leaving a message on my post so I could find you. I'm following you now, so I won't lose you again. I sure have some catching up to do, though!! ~karen

    ReplyDelete
  12. Not a book I could read, I cry far too easily over these animal stories. The dog on the cover is so cute, perfect for the book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, that face is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi!
    This sounds like a great book. I'll have to check it out. Thanks for stopping by my place. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Just Books

    ReplyDelete
  15. This sounds like it could be good but with Buddy sick now I don't think I could make it through it. The cover is cute though.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Since my dog is so old, I have a feeling this book would make me sob.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Huge animal lover here, and this book sounds like something I would love. I lost a couple of cats last year, and am still not really over it, so I am probably going to have to wait on this one, but I will be reading it at some time!! Great review!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Adorable cover! I am a sucker for a furry face, but I especially love this cover!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.