Thursday, May 24, 2012

The Gingerbread Girl; Stephen King



Author:  Stephen King
Publication Year: 2008
Publisher: Simon and Schuster
Edition: audiobook
Reader: Mare Winningham
Source: Library
Setting: FL
Date Completed: 5/2012
Rating: 3.5/5
Recommend: yes

If you're looking for a quick audio book listen that's super easy to follow, The Gingerbread Girl, a novella by Stephen King, may be a good choice for you. It's only (2) discs and (2) hours of listening time. 

Emily Owensby is a young married woman who has recently lost her baby to SIDS.  Their marriage strained,  she is reeling in emotional pain, and looks for relief by beginning to run. She starts out slow, and then runs more and more and more, until she becomes physically ill because from this obsession.  When her husband confronts her about what she is doing to herself, she runs from him as well.

Emily heads to her father's vacation cabin in Vermillion Key, Florida, hoping to deal with her emotional wounds.  In Florida, she begins running once again, along the beach, each time farther and farther and still thinking about the baby she lost.  One day she encounters a man who seemed "crazy", and what happens next will take Emily's mind off his lost baby, and have her wondering about her own survival.

The reader Mare Winningham, did a good job but, I thought the story itself was just okay. There were no twists or turns along the way, but there was enough suspense to keep me engaged.

7 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting. Does it have the same horror kind of touch that most of King's work does? I'm not good with that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book reminds me a lot of The Unnamed, which I haven't read yet, but deals with some of the same issues. I have heard it's an excellent read as well. This does seem like a great listen for a short trip though, and your review was wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of this one and I thought I knew all of King's stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmmm…this does sound like a bit of a departure for King!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephen King's novels are usually filled with a lot of suspense and surprise, so it is too bad this one wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Mare but I'm not sure if this one is for me on audio or not. I've been trying to stay with your 4.5/5 audio reviews!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another one I've never heard of by King. He's such a prolific writer. I heard an interview with him where he said if he died today he would have books published for many years in the future because he has some in the hopper and I bet he has tons of short stories that he's never bothered to publish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.