Sunday, August 26, 2012

Tell the Wolves I'm Home; Carla Rivka Brunt


Author:  Carla Rivka Brunt
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Dial Press
Edition: Edelweiss
Setting: New York
Source:NetGalley and Edelweiss
Date Completed: August/2012
Rating: 5/5
Recommend: yes-highly!


A lovable narrator, 14 year-old June Elbus is finding growing up difficult.  Her parents are accountants, often working long hours -- she thinks they are boring. Her older sister Greta has become mean to her lately, and she finds she likes to spend time alone, preferably in the woods listening for the howl of the wolves.  She also enjoys visiting the one special person who seems to understand her, Uncle Finn.

Uncle Finn is her mom's brother, he's a famous painter, and has been working on a painting of June and Greta when they visit him. Uncle Finn is also dying of AIDS.  Being that it is 1987, AIDS is that hush hush disease that nobody is comfortable talking about, and so for June when Uncle Finn dies, she has lots of unanswered questions.

One day a mysterious man posing as a delivery man delivers a teapot to June that belonged to Uncle Finn. A letter from the mystery man, Toby, happens to be the "special" friend of Uncle Finn follows. The letter asks June to meet Toby to talk, telling her that what her parents believe about him isn't true.  June is curious, she is also sad and grieving, but through Toby, her new secret, special friend, June begins to learn much more about her favorite uncle. Through their secret meeting June not only begins to heal, but also helps lonely, grieving Toby in the process.

A touching and sometimes emotional story, this amazing debut novel will tug at your heartstrings, but it will also make you happy that you had the chance to meet June, Uncle Finn and Toby.  It is through these amazing characters that we revisit the pains of growing up, what it feels like to lose a loved one, and how to heal a broken heart.

A top 10 book of mine for 2012, do yourself a favor and READ this book. Brunt is a debut author to watch for moving forward -- wonderful.


17 comments:

  1. When a young narrator is done right, it makes for a terrific book! I'll have to look for this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds excellent - I'll be on the lookout for a copy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hearing so many good things about this book. It does sound like a must read.

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW, this sounds (and looks!) amazing. Great review, it's definitely on my wish list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This sounds awesome Diane. A lot of bloggers have said this is good. It now goes to my wishlist! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember this one from your Tuesday Intro post! Wow!! This is going on my MUST read list for sure!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I read another review of this one, and now, reading yours it seems like this is one that I need to read right away! It sounds like it is such an interesting book, and one that is really touching and emotional. I want to read this one and will be looking for it in audio when I can

    ReplyDelete
  8. I haven't seen or heard of this one before, but you make it sound very good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just loved the thing with the painting (trying not to give anything away here), and how even the mom got into it by the end.

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the best books I have read this year!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was going to skip reading this review because the cover didn't catch my eye, but your 5 star rating did!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure it will make my top 10 of 2012 too. Great to see more people spreading the word about this fantastic book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You've made this one sound so good! Definitely keeping it in mind. Ah, so many great-sounding books...so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everyone is raving about this one too! I just picked up a copy at the library and am really looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great review. Jill had me adding this to my wish list. With two recommendations like that it must be good!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.