Tuesday, October 30, 2012

First Chapter ~ First Paragraph Tuesday Intros


For today's First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intro, I'm featuring an intro a hardcover sitting on my shelf that I've been curious about. Has anyone read it?

Scribner - 2008

1987
The Family Galaxy

"Ruby Bronstein was nine years old the winter she found a gun.  It was a Tuesday in December; she and her family were on vacation in Maine.

That morning, after breakfast, Ruby stood by the window of the closed-in side porch, watching her brothers.  They were far out on the beach, moving across the expanse in front of the house and then stopping; a cluster of dark, stop-and-go bodies like raised, mobile moles on the pure flat of high tide."

My first reaction to this paragraph was --"who the heck goes to Maine in December for vacation?"

Would you keep reading?

14 comments:

  1. I have a bad feeling about this little girl and Maine and the gun. I'm going to wait for you to review it. Here's Mine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, there is that question...and then: uh-oh, the gun. Something really terrible is about to happen. So I would definitely keep reading.

    Here's MY TUESDAY MEMES POST

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mine is posted thanks for hostig

    http://myheartbelongs2books.blogspot.com/2012/10/teaser-tuesday-texans-choice.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would keep reading wondering what was going to happen on that vacation.

    Mine is here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel as though something bad is going to happen with that gun and with those boys. And you are right, Maine, in the winter??

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hmm. I don't know. I get a very bad feeling from reading that intro. Of course, I am curious about what she does with the gun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm curious about what's going to happen next. The tone of the opening paragraph is very ominous, so I don't know. Nice descriptive writing. Mine is here: Joyfully Retired

    ReplyDelete
  8. That would be an odd place to take a vacation in December.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One more sentence might have kept me reading.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cryptic opening! Not sure if I'd read this....

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was sucked in by the title, now I am not so sure!. Yes, something bad is going to happen. I am sure of it!!!. Are you going to read it? Will you let us know?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Here is mine: http://jaynesbooks.blogspot.com/2012/10/first-chapter-first-paragaphs-tuesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi, stopping by for the intros. Interesting. hope you like it. Its not my kind of book though.
    Here is mine
    Teaser Tuesday & Intros Tues @Michelles Paranormal Vault of Books

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thank again for visiting.

(I apologize for the word verification, spammers spoil it for all sadly.)