Friday, October 26, 2012

Me, Who Dove into the Heart of the World; Sabina Berman


Author:  Sabina Berman and Lisa Dillman
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Henry Holt and Co
Edition: ARC
Source: Amazon Vine
Date Completed: October/2012
Rating: 4/5 
Recommend: yes

In this unique novel, the narrator, Karen Nieto was raised by a mentally ill mother and left to wander alone aimlessly along the beach near her family's business, a tuna cannery. It isn't until Karen's mother dies and her aunt Isabelle comes to Mexico to take over the failing family business, that she realizes how this poor girl has been living, allowed to wander dirty and naked along the beach in Maztatlan.

It isn't long before Karen's life completely changes for the better, and for the first time she is able to see herself as Karen, a person, instead of just "me". Limited in many areas especially socially because of her autism, yet, in other areas she is practically a genius. She realizes she is different, but she does not see herself as limited. Most important, she is happy in her skin.

I enjoyed the way this story was written, and Karen's voice and reactions to things that happen seemed very realistic for an individual with autism. I was impressed with how well Karen was able to deal with the significant events in her life despite of her lack of social skills caused by her limitations that resulted. Worth Reading! 

15 comments:

  1. Glad you liked it. I enjoyed reading this fanciful novel too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Karen's early life sounds tragic. You've made this book sound intriguing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds sad but hopeful. I hate to think of kids being neglected and wonder what her life might have been if she'd been cared for.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for reviewing it- I've seen it around but didn't know anything about it. I'm glad you enjoyed it even though it sounds pretty sad.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like an interesting book. Reading your post reminds me of the film "Nell" (Jodie Foster, Liam Neeson, Natasha Richardson), similar theme.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a well written book!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This does sound very touching and readable. I enjoyed your clear and concise review, and will keep this book in mind.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't recall hearing of this book until reading your blog today, but your review is terrific and this title is going on my list for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hadn't seen this one around - glad you brought it to my attention; it sounds like something I'd really like.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Alyce reviewed this one a little while ago and I was intrigued then. Now after reading your thoughts I'm even more curious about this one. Marking it down to read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is really a great and useful piece of information. I am glad that you shared this useful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this. Thank you for sharing.
    http://thesynergyevents.com/blog_boston_new_years_eve_party/

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was such an odd book for me. I thought it was an original idea and so creative, but I couldn't say that I loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an inspirational and feel good read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This sounds very inspiring. I'll have to keep it in mind when I need to feel inspired.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.