Thursday, October 11, 2012

Gone Girl; Gillian Flynn



Title: Gone Girl
Author:  Gillian Flynn
Publication Year: 2012
Publisher: Random House
Edition: eGalley
Setting:  NY and MO
Source: Edelweiss
Date Completed: September/2012
Rating: 3/5 
Recommend: possibly

As a fan of this author's first two novels,  Sharp Objects and Dark Places, I was anxious to see for myself what all the hype surrounding her latest novel was all about.Gone Girl, released in June, 2012, and at times I felt like I was the only one who hadn't read this one.  You know how sometimes when there is so much hype, you can get that disappointed feeling when your done?  Yup, that is what happened to me... I felt let down.

In this novel, 30-something Nick and Amy Dunne were once a fairly happy young couple living in Brooklyn, NY. Well, on second thought maybe they weren't so happy after all, but I digress. In the 90's both were writers until a downturn in the economy left them both unemployed.  

When Nick learns that his twin sister Margo has also lost her job and has moved back to their hometown in Missouri to care for their dying parents.  Nick tells his sister that he and Amy will be moving to Missouri as well, doing this without even checking with Amy.  Nick and Margo, borrow the last of Amy's trust fund money to buy a bar in town. Then on the eve of their 5th wedding anniversary Amy goes missing.  She she just leave? Was she kidnapped, or did  Nick have something to do with her disappearance?

Told through alternating points of view past and present by Nick (of Amy) and through diary entries by Amy (about Nick) prior to her disappearance, it quickly becomes impossible to determine the truth from the lies. Who's the psychopath?  Both Amy and Nick were equally disturbed, in my opinion, and one thing was certain for me -- they deserved each other.  Honestly, I don't think I've read anything in a long time with (2) such detestable individuals.

Although the author did a good job creating an engaging psychological thriller, and the twists and turns were unexpected, the ending aggravated me. In the end I was disappointed at myself for caving to the hype.

26 comments:

  1. I started listenting to this but it was hard to keep track of who was talking, was this past or present and now that I know some of it was in diary form it makes sense. I usually like to have the print version to refer to, but did not in this case. The audio went back and I placed a hold on the print.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The story line sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this yet, I 'm on the library list - # 400 something, last time I checked. Her characters have always seemed like not nice people so I haven't read any of her work, though many readers enjoy her quite a lot. I hope I will enjoy this one, though your review tends to side with what I think will happen when I read it! I enjoyed your review too, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're right, I've seen a lot written about this book. Detestable characters and an unsatisfying ending do not tempt me. Thanks for taking the ride though, to save my buying the ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The end of this book seems to be mentioned in a lot of reviews. I'm curious enough that I still want to read this book.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh see but one almost HAS to read books with all that hype so one knows one way or the other and one can join the social/blogging conversation! :--)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree completely - I was a little disappointed after the hype. I wanted one more twist at the end to at least make one of these people decent.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Although this book is on my TBR list, now that I have read your review, I may move it to the bottom. No sense wasting time on a book that you don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Diane, thanks for your honest review. Sorry you were disappointed!

    ReplyDelete
  10. For a while, I saw nothing but raves for this, but finally I see some less swoony reviews and I'm happy for that -- I'm often disappointed when I read super hyped books -- and I suspect this one would never live up to the hype for me.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been waiting to read this until the buzz dies down, but the more I hear about people hating the ending, the more I think I might skip it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I added my name to the library hold list, but never got to read it when it was my turn (crazy summer/fall here). Less than glowing reviews are starting to pop up now, and I'm thinking I should read one of her older books instead.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am with you 100% on this Diane! While I found it engaging I kept waiting to see which one of them to root for until I finally realized - neither. And I HATED the ending. I do think it will make a good film - I blogged about the fact that Reese Witherspoon picked up the film rights. Presumably she'll star as Amy as well. Good to know you liked Sharp Objects and Dark Places; I was debating whether to bother with them or not.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Finally, a fellow reader whom I greatly respect who also felt let down after finishing this. I was riveted in many parts, to be sure, but at the end of the novel? Not impressed. Tired of being jerked around, to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I do think this book is getting hurt by being overhyped but I still found it a crazy thrill ride of a read.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Bummer! I loved it, but then I don't read books like this very often, and I hadn't read any of her other books.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah oh. I'm reading this right now and finally got sucked in at about page 130. Although, it's an ebook that I checked out and it was due back. Now I have to wait to get it back again. Torture!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I just finished this week.I found the book to be thrilling even though I hated the main characters but the ending left me furious! I kept turning the page hoping for something more.I may try the author's other two books since you were fond of them.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I enjoyed this book a lot, though I'll admit it didn't really stick with me. The ending is love it or hate it I think; people have very strong reactions to it both ways, which i think means she did a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I read it before the hype and loved it, but I have also read her other two books and loved those so I knew her style before going into this one. Sorry that it just didn't work for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I read this. My feeling was similar to yours.

    Right up to the second-from-last page GONE GIRL by Gillian Flynn is a five-star book, i.e., it deserves the highest rating. Every page of the book builds more and more tension.

    But the end: other reviewers have said that it comes as a surprise. True. But I didn't like it. It is as if Flynn couldn't think of an end to the story so just stopped.

    Personally, I think the end should be rewritten. This is a five-star book that loses a star because of the last two pages.

    ReplyDelete
  22. If I'm not getting in on the "big" thing when the hype hits, I can never decide if I want to read the book while everyone still wants to talk about it OR if I want to wait until the hype dies down and I go into it with lower expectations. You're not alone in not loving this one so I think I'm getting a better balance of opinions now.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It disappointed me too. I felt so much of it was added in for shock value, not to enhance the story in any way. It was entertaining. That's pretty much it. I hear she is working on a sequel.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I loved this book (read prior to hype) and can't wait to read her other two! Sorry it didn't work out for you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.