Saturday, September 27, 2014

The Make - Ahead Cook ~ America's Test Kitchen

Cook's Illustrated - 2014

America's Test Kitchen has long been one of my favorite cookbooks (I own several). The set up of the book itself -- description - detailed about how many people the recipe will serve, safe storing, prep work, cook and serve instructions are all well organized and crystal clear. Most of the recipes do involve some prep time, but the recipes (there are 150) and all are recipes that will appeal to most people -- even choices for vegetarians.

There are tips to cut down on prep time, recommended cooking and storage containers. The sections are divided into -- "8 Smart Strategies" :
1. Prep Ahead
2. Reheat and Eat
3. Bake and Serve
4. From Fridge to Table
5. Shop Smart
6. The Sunday Cook
7. Come Home to Dinner
8. Stock the Freezer

Some of the recipes that I plan to try are: All American Meatloaf (brown sugar glaze), Miso Salmon, Salmon Burgers, One Pan Roast Chicken with Root Veggies, Stuffed Acorn Squash, Chicken Pot Pie with Crumble Topping, Chicken Enchiladas, 24-Hour Chopped Salad, Skillet Pizza with Broccoli an Red Onion, Chicken Pot Pie, Spinach Manicotti and several excellent looking slow cooker recipes as well.

Not all of the recipes in this book are new as I'm pretty sure I've seen a few in other ATK cookbooks, but that didn't bother me a bit. The illustrations that accompany the recipes are great and honestly, each recipe is all encompassing from prep to cooking, to storage and photo all on 2 pages per recipe. I love this book and think it would be especially helpful to anyone with a family to plan and cook for.

5/5 stars
(personal copy)

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoy America's Test Kitchen books and this looks like a useful one. I do get confused about their connection to Cook's Illustrated though. I think they both have similar feels so even if they're in know way connected they feel connected. I'll have to check this one out. There are days I could use a make ahead dinner. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am all for make ahead. This is on my list, thanks Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have their cook book America's Test Kitchen Family, which I love. They have the best basic recipes.

    I will be picking this one by them, it sounds perfect for me to start cooking ahead, something I've been thinking about for this winter. Thanks for the review, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  4. America's Test Kitchen is also a show on PBS, right? I think my husband still watches, though we don't have any of the cookbooks! Sounds like a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're making me hungry! This does look good - I like to prepare ahead and often make doubles on foods that freeze well.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love ATK cookbooks... will keep an eye out for this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm a ATK fan too. I wasn't sure about this one but now I want to take a look.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.