Saturday, October 31, 2015

Salem's Lot; Stephen King Readalong Wrap-Up

Thanks to Melissa, Care and Trish for hosting this fun read-along. So happy I decided to participate after initially dismissing it.

(love this cover image I found online)

I was late jumping onboard with the Salem's Lot bandwagon, but so happy my library cooperated and eventually made the audio download available.  After 35 years, I probably enjoyed this more the second time around...such fun. Ron McLarty did a terrific job narrating this selection.

(The Overview)Ben Mears has returned to Jerusalem's Lot in the hopes that living in an old mansion, long the subject of town lore, will help him cast out his own devils and provide inspiration for his new book. But when two young boys venture into the woods and only one comes out alive, Mears begins to realize that there may be something sinister at work and that his hometown is under siege by forces of darkness far beyond his control.

(My Rambling Thoughts) - I loved the Marsden house and how it seemed to come alive as I read.  I loved how the first half of the books ratcheted up the tension for what was to some later on -- the details about the house, the town, the people etc.  Then wham, Ben and his vampire fighters really had their work cut out for them.  This book felt dated but I really loved that,  it took me back to those earlier days to what many of King's generation did for fun as teens (well minus the vampire fighting). I loved how these vampires were the good old-fashioned kind, no glitz and glamour or good looks, but scary, evil and smelly instead. I loved the characters King created, the sinister feel and, of course, the blood-sucking vampires of the night. 

Stakes, crosses, holy water - dark menacing and atmospheric, Salem's Lot is one of King's very best, in my opinion. It's a perfect horror selection to read most anytime, but something about October reading made it even more enjoyable.

8 comments:

  1. We like that one and the creepy cool dude. Have a spooky cool Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds very entertaining, and I agree that this time of the year is especially perfect for SK stories! Have a great Halloween, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, dated, but fun when you actually remember the time period. I had a great time too. Listening to the book was a good way to experience it in a different way than the first time. Glad I joined in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really like the audio kay, and was even brave enough to listen in bed a few nights:)

      Delete
  4. I listened to the audio also and loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.