Wednesday, October 28, 2015

The Lake House; Kate Morton

The Lake House; Kate Morton
Atria - Oct-2015

The idyllic lakeside estate in Cornwall holds many secrets.  The story begins in 1933 with 16 year old Alice Edevane, one of (4) children of Eleanor and Anthony.  Alice loves to write stories, she's a sleuth or sorts and as the story begins something mysterious is happening while she is in the woods.  Back home Alice's parents are hosting a grand "Midsummer's Eve Party, at Loennaeth, their grand estate. However,  as the party is going on something terrible happens.  Theo Edevane, infant son of the couple, disappears from his crib and is never found.  Devastated the family moves from the house to London, leaving the house vacant for years.

Fast forward to 2003, Sadie Sparrow, a former police detective who is on administrative leave goes to spend some time with her grandfather, Bertie.  While exploring the area, she comes upon the long abandoned 'lake house" and can't resist exploring the house's history.  She becomes obsessed with what happened to the missing boy.

There are several threads running through this story and through flashbacks, some as far back as 1911, the reader gets a glimpse into the family and their secrets.  The author did a great job especially with the characters of Alice, Sadie and Eleanor. Alice, now in her 80's, proves to be a very interesting character, and her talent as a mystery writer over the years makes her character all the more curious. Sadie has her own secrets too, making her great character as well.

There is plenty of suspense,  a few twists and even a surprise ending but, for some reason I didn't love this Kate Morton book as much as the others I've read. I felt it was unnecessarily overwritten and plodding at times (lots of unnecessary details), and it required me to suspend belief at times as well. Told from way too many points of view, The Lake House, will appeal to some readers who enjoy historical mysteries and stories with family secrets.

3.5/5 stars
(review copy)

12 comments:

  1. Now I'm wondering what happened to Theo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never read Morton. Should I? You know my likes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was my first Morton book and I loved it...but I can see how it could have been shortened a bit. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've read one book by this author - Distant Hours - and I liked it very much. It was long though. I've recently discovered that Caroline Lee narrates Kate Morton's books. I love Caroline Lee. I think I may listen to them instead. I'd listen to Caroline Lee read her grocery list. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  5. That one doesn't sound too bad at all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've only read one of her books, which Iloved, so this book is definitely on my list. Great review, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Diane, thanks for sharing your honest thoughts about this book. Too many POVs could become confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Not sure about all those points of view... I'm getting tired of alternating voices and the trend now seems to be toward even more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been curious about this book. Thanks for a great review Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh - interesting. This is first non-glowing review I've read for this book. I do love family secrets and twisty plots, but have been a little underwhelmed by them lately...maybe reading too many means the plot twists don't really surprise me anymore?!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been wondering about this book. I've never tried this author before, and this sounds tempting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have this one on hold at the library - but when I check the queue, I think I will be waiting about a year... Sigh... I've loved all of Kate Mortons other books. I'll probably break down and buy it at some point.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.