Thursday, October 8, 2015

Shantaram fans - a long awaited sequel - The Mountain Shadow; Gregory David Roberts


It's been (11) years since Shantaram had been published. This was such a fantastic (944 pp) novel.  I had read and discussed it with a coworker about 5 years ago, and we both couldn't shut up about it. I'm so excited for this sequel, despite it being another hefty tome at (912 pp). Have you read Shantaram? If not, you should try it sometime -- truly amazing.

The Mountain Shadow; Gregory David Roberts
October 13th - Grove Press

(OVERVIEW)

Shantaram introduced millions of readers to a cast of unforgettable characters through Lin, an Australian fugitive, working as a passport forger for a branch of the Bombay mafia. In The Mountain Shadow, the long awaited sequel, Lin must find his way in a Bombay run by a different generation of mafia dons, playing by a different set of rules.

It has been two years since the events in Shantaram, and since Lin lost two people he had come to love: his father figure, Khaderbhai, and his soul mate, Karla, married to a handsome Indian media tycoon. Lin returns from a smuggling trip to a city that seems to have changed too much, too soon. Many of his old friends are long gone, the new mafia leadership has become entangled in increasingly violent and dangerous intrigues, and a fabled holy man challenges everything that Lin thought he’d learned about love and life. But Lin can’t leave the Island City: Karla, and a fatal promise, won’t let him go.

6 comments:

  1. I loved Shantaram and have had his latest on my TBR, but I'm not sure I'll be able to get to it this year. I'm planning on reading City on Fire when it comes out on Tues and I don't know if I have another 900+ pager in my before the year is out. But, I would like to read it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is my concern -- how I am going to find time to read this one.

      Delete
  2. I'm so excited about this, but worried too. How can it possibly be as good as the first? I'll keep my fingers crossed it can live up to Shantaram.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jackie. Shantaram was so fantastic. I need to look back at my notes before I start this one as it's been several years now.

      Delete
  3. We hadn't read the first one...we need to solve that problem.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.