Saturday, February 16, 2019

Great Expectations; Charles Dickens


AUTHOR:  Charles Dickens
PUBLISHER:  Recorded Books (Frank Muller, Narrator)
PUB. YEAR: 2001
SETTING:  Victorian England
FORMAT:  - audio - library
RATING: 4/5

Set in Victorian England around 1860, this Dicken's classic was a first time read/listen for me and overall, I really enjoyed the story of "Pip" (Phillip Pirrip), a boy of about 7 who grows up with very little.  His much older sister, Georgiana beats him routinely for no real reason so he stays away from the home as much as possible.  In contract to his sister, his brother-in-law Joe is his solace. Joe is a kind-hearted soul who does all he can for Pip.

From the escaped convict Magwitch to the quirky, eccentric Miss Havisham the characters came alive as I listened. I enjoyed the parts with Miss Havisham, a wealthy spinster who lives in a dilapidated house and prances around in a wedding dress. Her adopted daughter Estella is someone Pip is always trying to impress as he longs for her love and attention.

There are multiple plot lines in this classic and I especially enjoyed the vivid imagery Dickens created.  I thought the narrative was excellent but that maybe this was just a little longer than it needed to be.  I liked the Pip character, even though he makes some foolish choices, I liked watching him evolve. Frank Muller, the audio book narrator did a fabulous job.

5 comments:

  1. Nice review, we’ve not read that one either!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one may be my favorite Dickens. There are several I have not read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I just listened to this on audio last year. I hadn't read it since 9th grade and soooo enjoyed it again! The audio production I listened to was excellent. What surprised me was how funny it was! So many lines that made me laugh out loud (and look a little crazy while walking around my neighborhood).

    Glad you enjoyed it, too!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
  4. The only Dickens I've read Is A Christmas Carol and I enjoyed it. I need to read a lot of classics for my challenge this year. How long of a listen was it?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes it could be my favorite Dickens too! Who can forget Miss Havisham and Pip's love for Estella. Ethan Hawke and Gwyneth Paltrow did an interesting movie of Great Expectations in 1998. See it if you can.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.