Monday, February 18, 2019

The Stranger Inside; Jennifer Jaynes


AUTHOR:  Jennifer Jaynes
PUBLISHER:  Thomas Mercer
PUB. YEAR: 2017
SETTING:  Massachusetts
FORMAT:  - eBook - NetGalley (286pp)
RATING: 4.5/5

Diane Christie is a mystery writer and a crisis center hotline volunteer. She has 2 teenagers, a son with medical issues and a college-age daughter who is difficult to say the least. The 3 have relocated to Fog Harbor from New Jersey after Diane's husband commits suicide.  

The murder of a college girl and a call Diane takes while volunteering at the crisis center puts her in the middle of the investigation. The caller, with a computer disguised voice, seems to know too much about the recent murder than what has been released. Subsequent calls from the same individual state that she is the only one who can stop the killings.

This was a well-plotted suspense thriller which had me guessing about the suspects and the possible motives, I was hooked from the very start and the surprise ending was awesome as well. A quick, satisfying psychological thriller, I loved the coastal setting, characterizations and the way the story played out.  I would definitely read more books by this author.

This book is actually book #4 of a series, but, I didn't realized that until after the fact and, it can clearly be read as a stand-alone.

The Kindle version is $3.99 on Amazon.

14 comments:

  1. Oh that sounds really good, we might have to Kindlize it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, does that woman have enough going on or what? Glad you found it a good read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like a winner! I've always said well written series can stand alone like that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds edge-of-your-seat scary, Diane. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh this one sounds good, but creepy. Maybe because I have a college-age daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read this author, but I love a good suspense thriller, especially if it can keep the reader guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad that you liked this one so. Many readers lately seem burn out of mystery/thrillers because they have started to outdo each other with implausible twists and red herrings galore. This one sounds different for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like it might be good on audio. Thanks, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds really good! Thanks for the link, I got the audio.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds pretty readable. Too bad it's part of a series. I know you said it could be a stand alone but I don't know. I have mixed feelings about series these days. I used to love them but no time for them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ooo… I'm intrigued! Thanks for sharing about this new to me title.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just put the first of the series on hold.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It does sound spooky ... reminds me a bit of the movie Play Misty for Me, creepy!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.