Tuesday, April 30, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros; ~ A Stone for Danny Fisher; Harold Robbins



Each Tuesday, Vicki, from I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where  readers post the opening paragraph (sometime two) of a book they are reading or that they plan to read.  This one is a book my husband and I started listening to on a road trip last week. He had read the book 40+ years ago and loved it so we decided to try the audio. What do you think?

A Stone for Danny Fisher; Harold Robbins
(originally published in 1952 - Blackstone Audio 2009

"There are many ways to get to Mount Zion Cemetery. You can go by automobile, through the many beautiful parkways of Long Island, or by subway, bus or trolley. There are many ways to get to Mount Zion Cemetery, but during this week there is no way that is not crushed and crowded with people.

Why should this be so? you ask,  for in the full flush of life there is something frightening about about going to a cemetery -- except at certain times. But this week, the week before the High Holy Days, is one of those times. For this is the week that Lord God Jehovah calls His angels about Him and opens before them the Book of Life. And your name is inscribed on one of these pages. Written on that page will be your fate for the coming year.

For these six says the book will remain open and you will have the opportunity to prove that you are deserving of His kindness. During these six days you devote yourself to acts of charity and devotion. One of these acts is the annual visit to the dead.

And to make sure that your visit to the departed will be noted ad the proper credit given, you will pick up a small stone from the earth beneath your feet and place it on the monument so the Recording Angel will see it when he comes through the cemetery each night."

Curious? The audio is long (we are about 1/2 way through) but it's quite addictive.

9 comments:

  1. I believe I read this years ago and thought it was fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound pretty interesting, I'd like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I, too, read this years ago and loved it. Hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never read a Harold Robbins book. This one sounds like the perfect audio--it feels like someone casually telling a story.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I haven't thought of this author in years! I was reading him during the 1970s, but didn't get to this one. Now I'm curious. Thanks for sharing, and for visiting my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't read anything by this author, this sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gosh for me too 40 odd years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The only book I have read by Harold Robbins is The Carpetbaggers. What a curious opening paragraph!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.