Thursday, August 8, 2019

Cape May; Chip Cheek

TITLE: Cape May
AUTHOR:  Chip Cheek
PUBLISHER: MacMillan Audio
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: Cape May, NJ
FORMAT:  audio (7.5 hours - approx.)
RATING - 4.5/5

In 1957, Henry and Effie are newlyweds from Georgia, who at Effie's suggestion, decide to honeymoon at the seaside town of Cape May, New Jersey. Effie fondly recalls childhood summers spent at her uncle's cottage there.  One thing the couple hadn't planned on was just how desolate, September can be off season at some resort towns. With boarded up businesses and very little to do, this couple is bored and lonely after just one week and talk of cutting their honeymoon short.

 Having had enough solitude, one evening the couple notices lots of lights at a home nearby. Henry and Effie decide to stop in and say hello. It's there that they meet some irresistible and uninhibited party people: Max, Alma and Clara, who draw them into their party circle of booze and other exploits.  The newlywed's marriage will be tested as a result.

I went into this book knowing very little about this story other than the seaside setting: Cape May, New Jersey. I was immediately pulled into the lives of this young couple and, I couldn't stop wondering what would happen to them.  The story was unsettling at times, the sense of dread and self-destructiveness I felt for the characters pulled me in and never let go. 

Cape May is definitely not a book that will appeal to everyone. It seems most are in the "loved-it or hated it camp." It's the kind of story that many will want to read in one sitting -- it's not too long of a story. The audio was excellent, read by George Newbern.  Be advised that the story gets pretty steamy and sexually explicit, and it's definitely not a book that most readers will quickly forget - the story and the characters will stick with me for a long while. 

13 comments:

  1. Just added it to my audible list! Sounds great, Diane.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you really enjoyed this audio book, Diane. I will keep it in mind. Terrific review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like one of those books where I'd want to yell "Don't go in the house!"

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. It was rather surprised by this one, not expecting what what delivered.

      Delete
  5. Hmmm. I'm tempted, especially since it's a good audio length.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I would like this one but I can sense the unease.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.