Tuesday, August 13, 2019

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - The Summer Demands; Deborah Shapiro


On Tuesdays, Vicki, ( I’d Rather Be At The Beach hosts First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros where readers post the opening paragraph (or 2) of a book they are reading or that plan to read.

The Summer Demands; Deborah Shapiro
Catapult - 2019

SPLINTER

"Summer, green and still and slightly grainy. The way it is in foreign films from the 1970s and '80s. A lulling, enveloping heat.  I had things to do, I swear, written on lists, but those things seemed to only get done if they coincided with the slow, inevitable rhythm of the days.  From the couch in the room with the bay window, I would watch those movies, watch young French women who never wore bras move around in philosophically provocative situations, and then I would get up and go outside, go down to the lake, or watch another movie.  The days passed into each other without much distinction, dulling all anxiety but heightening a sensitivity. Like walking out of a dark theatre into a bright afternoon, one world exchanged for another.  Being stunned and not minding it, wanting to hold to an in-between."

What do you think? Read more or pass? It's a pretty short novel - just 211 pages.

13 comments:

  1. I'm not sure about this one but I hope you enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, lost me with the first sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm intrigued by the snippet, cover, and title. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm intrigued, what a lovely slow moving life she has!!

    Here's my Tuesday post. Have a good day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It seems she is going through something. But I understand that summer feeling. I have been suffering from it this August. I am binge watching Orange Is the New Black from the very first episode on!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm not so sure. I love the cover but I struggled a bit with her level of descriptiveness. Since it is a short novel I think I'd give it a chance.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I couldn't feel the rhythm of her prose, so I'd probably pass.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I kind of wish I could have days like that.

    Donna @ Girl Who Reads

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting premise! I "cheated" and read a long blurb on Amazon about it. Sometimes I'm just in the mood for a slow-moving immersive read. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know something will happen and am curious to see what, so I'd read on.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I used to watch foreign films a lot (especially French ones) so this definitely has my attention! Can't wait to hear what you think of it.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.