Friday, August 2, 2019

Keeping Lucy; T. Greenwood


AUTHOR:  T. Greenwood
PUBLISHER: St. Martin's Press
PUB. YEAR: 2019
SETTING: MA (and cross country)
FORMAT:  eGalley (320pp)
RATING - 4.5/5

In 1969 Ginny Richardson, wife of Abbott, mother to 4 year old Peyson gives birth to a baby girl, Lucy, who is born with Down's Syndrome.  Without her consent, her husband under pressure from his powerful father Abbott Sr. sign the baby over to the care of Willowridge in Western Massachusetts, known as "a place for the feeble-minded".

When Ginny finds out she is devastated and every time she talks about visiting her baby she's stalled and pressured to move on with her life. Two years later her best friend Marsha shows her articles about Willowridge being a filthy and neglectful place for the children residing there.  Ginny and her friend decide to visit Willowridge and find out for themselves. When they do they are horrified by what they witness.  Lucy, now 2,  has in fact been neglected so she decides to check her little girl out for the weekend and figure out her next move in getting her daughter back. Her husband does no know what she's doing and the women, along with Ginny's six year old son travel cross country to figure out what to do. 

Keeping Lucy was a very good read but a sad read.  Ginny is a courageous mother whose unflinching love for her children makes her unstoppable. Her supportive friend has her back and, I thought that their journey had a Thelma and Louise feel to it.  This story is based in part on true events and it felt very real as well given the 1969-1971 time period.  The characters were well explored and I liked that the story also gave insight to an earlier time in Ginny and Abbott's relationship as well.  Great characters however,  the father-in-law Abbott Sr. was hard to take. I was a bit disappointed that the horrors of the school were not more deeply explored, but, perhaps that would have turned off some readers.

Note: This book was of particular interest to me as I grew up in Western MA and there was a place like Willowridge. It was called Belchertown State School for the Feeble Minded that did in fact exist for some 70 years. It finally closed its doors for good in 1992. I recall that my aunt's friend had a daughter, my age, with Down's Syndrome, who spent her life there -  so sad.

12 comments:

  1. That does sound sad. At least we've made progress in that area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like it might be a good book club read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like a touching book. Wonderful review, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never heard of a School for the Feeble Minded, how horrible! The book sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW, that sounds like a powerful and sad story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember finding a copy of Angel Unaware by Dale Evans at my aunt's house when I was young. Dale Evans wrote about her daughter, a Down Syndrome child, including quite a few pictures as I remember. At the time, many of these children were institutionalized, but Dale Evans and Roy Rogers not only kept and cherished their daughter, but influenced a change in the way these children were thought about. Keeping Lucy is going on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. They way we have treated people, and particularly children, in this country is horrible. I know it is far from perfect, but I think it's important for novels like to to be published so we don't forget (or repeat).

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have an earlier novel by T Greenwood on my shelves though I have not read it yet. Rust and Stardust is the title. I heard her interview on the Otherppl podcast where she talked about that book and a little bit about this one. I think I need to read her.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Even the name sounds horrible. To describe like that.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Who was in charge of naming that institution?? Good grief.
    I think this book would be a very sad read for me. to think that the place actually existed, too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have been interested reading something by T Greenwood. The novel sounds heartbreaking, but these stories are important to tell.

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a sad connection for you. I couldn't handle this right now. Hard enough to stay upbeat for Gage.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.