Thursday, June 30, 2022

Book Review - The Hotel Nantucket; Elin Hilderbrand

 

The Hotel Nantucket; Elin Hilderbrand
Little Brown & Company - 2022
(library audio download - 12 hours 27 min.) 
 ( Erin Bennett narrator- very good)

It wouldn't be summer without an Elin Hilderbrand book set on Nantucket island.  

The Hotel Nantucket, once a top hotel of the Gilded Age has long fallen into a state of disrepair.  Recently purchased by London billionaire Xavier Darling, a man who knows what he wants and this includes a total facelift and a hotel that has all the bells and whistles.  His goal is to get a rare "5 Keys" rating from Shirley Carpenter, a hotel blogger who discreetly visits and reviews various hotels. Lisbeth Keaton is hired as the new general manager and, she has a backstory she is trying to forget. The hotel will also have a handsome celebrity chef and free mini bar to name just a few of the its perks.  Oh, and let us not forget the ghost of Grade Hadley, the young maid, who died tragically in a fire there in 1922; she still haunts the fourth floor.

This novel has some great characters with interesting back stories. There is even an eight year old guest named Wanda Marsh, a young girl obsessed with mysteries and Nancy Drew books.  She cause a bit of havoc while doing some sleuthing there.  The author also include references to old songs and a "must do list" for visitors vacationing on the island.  A worthy summer read but, my favorite is still 28 Summers!

Rating - 4/5 stars (library audio download)

14 comments:

  1. Oh, I loved 28 Summers, too! A thoroughly satisfying story all around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Summer of 69 was good to as I (you too I bet) could relate to that summer.

      Delete
  2. Gotta love a character obsessed with Nancy Drew! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Lark - obsessed with Nancy Drew - love it! It's been quite a while since I read anything by this author. Think my library has it and I'll see if I can get on the hold list (which I'm sure exists - ha!). Thanks for sharing about it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. 28 Summers is my favorite, too, but it sounds like there's still a lot to enjoy here!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is on my summer list! I'm curious about the ghost. I'm adding 28 Summers to my wish list too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm currently listening to Summer of '69, which introduces each new chapter with the title of a song from that era. It would be fun to put together a play list with each of those memorable songs. 28 Summers is still my favorite of Hilderbrand's, but I may give this new one a try someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it would be fun and that was one of the things I loved about Summer of 69. I had just finished my Sophomore year of HS so the songs were still among favorites even today.

      Delete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.