Tuesday, June 28, 2022

First Chapter First Paragraph Tuesday Intros - Vacationland; Meg Mitchell Moore


                                                     

Welcome to First Chapter/Intros, hosted by Yvonne @ Socrates Book ReviewsEach week readers post the first paragraph (or 2) of a book we are reading or plan to read soon.  This one comes from my (20) Books of Summer list.

Vacationland; Meg Mitchell Moore
William Morrow - 2022

June

1.
Kristie

The Greyhound from Altoona, Pennsylvania, to Rockland, Maine takes twelve hours and thirty-three minutes with three stops, all of them where you don't necessarily want to use the bathroom but may find you have no choice.  Even so, the first part of the journey isn't too bad--Kristie Turner has two seats to herself.  But in New Haven, six hours into the journey, she gains a seat mate in the form of a sixty-something named Bob who wants to talk with Kristie about the granddaughter he is going to meet for the first time, and also about abiding love for Creedence Clearwater Revival. Never mind that the bus left Altoona at eleven at night, so by this point it's five in the morning.

Can't you see I'm tire? Kristie wants to say. Can't you see I'm grieving? But, of course, Bob can't see that.  Grief is not something you wear on a vest, like a Brownie patch.  She rolls up her sweatshirt to form a pillow and angels her body away from Bob's, falling deeply asleep.

What do you think? Read More or pass?

24 comments:

  1. I haven't read this author before, but Vacationland is on my wish list. I'd keep reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JoAnn, I started it yesterday and am enjoying the story. Audio is very good as well.

      Delete
  2. In an earlier life, I rode Greyhound or Trailways buses on a regular basis, so I have a lot of sympathy for Kristie for her annoying seatmate!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting Dorothy! I've never take a long bus trip solo but, have taken several trips over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I found a way in! I had to change to the Google Chrome browser!

    I am now intrigued by Vacationland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sorry you had to change browsers to comment Laurel. I am enjoying Vacationland thus far.

      Delete
  5. This one sounds really good and the cover makes me want to read this now! I have to add it to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet you would like it; I'm really enjoying the Maine setting.

      Delete
  6. I've read a couple of books by this author a bunch of years ago. Can't recall the names right now. A bus trip - wow - that takes me back. Long, long ago we travelled that way on a couple of trips to see my grandparents, but it wouldn't be my favorite way. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Kay, we took a few bus and train trips to NYC over the last 10 years. It's too crazy and stressful to drive there these days IMO.

      Delete
  7. The title alone makes me want to check this one out! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Diane,
    When this one came up on my radar, I searched the author's other books. At the library I picked up one of her previous titles, which I haven't started yet. The Islanders is set on Block Island. I'm keen to read it, and I think I may have to, but it's not on my 20 Books of Summer List. Still, why not?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need to read that one Judith. I like Block Island --not as much as Nantucket but, it's a lot less crowded.

      Delete
  9. That was good, I'd read more...so much to find out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd definitely keep reading, just waiting on my library hold to be ready!

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cover alone is enough to capture my attention! Would definitely keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I;m about 80% done and one of those books I hate to put down.

      Delete
  12. I'm hooked enough to wonder if the two of them end up learning something from each other.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a very good book but, Sam - nope, he was just a seat mate LOL

      Delete
  13. I have had this author on my radar for awhile but I'm not sure about this book. I'll look for reviews on this one and hopefully you're enjoying it!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to visit and double thanks for any comments. If you ask a question in your comments, I will try to reply to it here, or by email if your settings allow me to do so. Thanks again for visiting.